ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watercolor to ArtRage (renamed)

Watercolor to ArtRage (renamed)

The 2nd image is a real watercolor on watercolor paper, scanned in. You see, I thought it would be nice to do this and then add to the scanned image in ArtRage. The original (about 4x5) only took a couple of minuets to paint and then after dry, scanned. This is what I came up with. (1st pic of course.)
    This could all be done in ArtRage but I like to do both and if I ruin the original, at least it's preserved it in digital form.

BTW, if anybody wants to grab one of the rough images and work them over, feel free to do so. Have some fun and Let me see what you have done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Home sweet home.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	72252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wcbg3.1.x.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	72332  
    Last edited by jibes; 01-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

beautiful water color. love the style of this Neal. great painting style.
    is the fence a little big considering the road? seems to jump around a bit... just wondering how it might look in a readable perspective.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-17-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Yes, I see what you mean. All done hastily but thanks for the comment SP.

WC to AR

Here is another example. On this one the BG was more developed but the concept is the same. Added the tree and other areas were enhanced. The additions were done via ArtRage Watercolor brush and wet knife with multiply mode on in layers. I now include the original for use and ref. As you can see this one is not much changed.

Name:	wc to ar.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	457.5 KB 
ID:	72253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex2.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	72329  
    Last edited by jibes; 01-19-2013 at 06:44 PM.

you are really working the watercolor style! beautiful!

... jibes, I'm wondering whether the watercolor background suggested the theme for the digital painting, or did you already have something in mind for the finished painting? ... I ask because recently I've been doing something similar, but I use an Inkjet printer along with digital inks ... My thinking is that the only form I can print in is inks, so why not have the digital painting support that? ... But your work offers a new perspective ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Neal... love this work... and what a GREAT idea..I don't know why I never thought about doing a natural watercolor as a potential background or starting point and then scanning in and enhancing and developing further in AR... a very nice workflow.. I am going to have to get a scanner and try this!

Sp, Chinapete and Gary. Thanks for the comments!

Chinapete. I do have a little bit in mind in these example. In the 1st I put in the sky and the land but that's about it. Only because I wanted to make a landscape painting. I just thought the house, trees, fence and path would fit in as I was doing them. On the second example I did the same but I was more careful about how I did it. This one is what gave me the idea in the 1st place. I wanted to scan it in to at least preserve what I had in case I messed it up when finishing it up.
    I normally do these backgrounds with the intent of finishing them in real watercolor. I must say doing them for real is much easier and quicker than doing them in digital. However I was trying to emulate watercolor on the 2nd one and that was tough. On the first I used what ever digital methods would work and that's why it looks so grainy.
    I guess I don't understand how you do yours. Do you start them in AR then print and add to them then with real paint?

Gary. Thanks! This method works great. If you have a digital camera just snap a photo of your painting and load it in that way. Then you wouldn't need a scanner. Then you can then make it as big as you like and also enhance the brightness and contrast. It should work fine.

And I like the result... especially the second one is impressive.

Example 3...Little Stream

Here is the 3rd example of this method. I spent a little more time on the finished product and I got a little carried away but it grts the point across. I include the scanned image for ref.

Name:	Little Stream.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	72326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	72328