ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cézanne's apple

Cézanne's apple

"Here," she said, pointing to one spot, "this is something he knew, and now he's saying it (a part of an apple), right next to it there's an empty space, because that was something he didn't know yet; he only made what he knew, nothing else..."

Rilke, Letters on Cézanne
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-17-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    xiěyě, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Certainly makes me want to read more to get the context as the words sound very intriguing and illuminating.

The image is interesting. A ghosted apple, which owing to its placement and handling takes center stage, but it doesn't quite fit in that place when the background is so dynamic. It seems super refined, like sand blasting a logo on a glass, the window showing through it very interesting things. Almost like the glass is in the way.

It certainly connotes that unrefined rock is more highly charged than the specialized melted sand that has been assigned to becoming glass. The glass is already used up as it were in this context, whereas the raw stuff seethes beyond it.

That's the interpretation. Visually though I'm not sure I'm settled with it. I usually choose to see in a context like this a three element thing happening. The Glass, the Elements, and the Painting. Each must work together and separately, as if being told in the same voice by the same narrator unless it's artistically blended as with choral music or text overlaying an image in a magazine or ad. They have some commonality of purpose or it feels jarring and not terribly articulate.

But that's just me thinking aloud. Keep moving forward. It may be heading to a super big payoff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You know, D A, you have an eerie talent for being able to put into words whatever strikes your interest visually -- not just my work, but with everyone's you comment on, I'm often surprised and I always learn something ...

I saw this painting as having just two elements, Cézanne's palette (the background), and the "ghosted apple" (I had the same thought you did!) ...

The palette reflects the basic earthy colors that Cézanne favored in oils, especially black, which he saw as a color (this requires more explanation) ... The background is disordered because all colors on Cézanne's palette had an equal chance of ending up anywhere on the canvas ... If you look closely at a white tablecloth by Cézanne, you will find it looks like a painter's palette after a particularly rough day in the studio :-)

The apple is left unpainted because the early modern German poet Rilke and his friend, the German painter Mathilde Vollmoeller, saw empty spaces where she thought there should have been paint (it is also possible that Cézanne intended to let the tone and texture of the canvas show through, he is known for being among the first to carry over into oil painting a basic technique in watercolor) ...

And the apple is ghosted in because it cannot be made from the colors represented ...

We don't often find a focus on the canvas or the ground in digital oil painting today, maybe because it's a blank screen, and it's easy for things like the texture and color of the support, which are part of the preparation for painting, to go missing, or to be considered less important, and anyway we can fill the background with the paint bucket even after the foreground has been done, a luxury the old masters didn't have :-) ... I tried in a few AR paintings to duplicate the texture of the ground, but even there, I was working mostly in digital watercolor ...

I have never been able to understand the huge influence that Cézanne had on early modern painting ... At first, Rilke didn't either, but in a series of letters to his wife Clara in 1907, he gradually begins to see Cézanne as a master ... He and his friend Vollmoeller were standing in a Salon in Paris and looking at a Cézanne when she made that remark, which he recorded in a letter dated October 12, 1907 (you can read a little about Vollmoeller and Rilke here: Vollmoeller)

One thing becomes clear: Cézanne is a colorist, he totally neglects form and is interested only in how color appears to the eye ... For this reason, I guess, when I look at Cézanne my first thought is, he couldn't draw! But that's not important -- it's the brilliant chromatic effects that attract, and, in digital painting, for me at least, the strategic use of black ...

ps: I was reading Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters on Cézanne, trans. Joel Agee, NY, 1985, p.46
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Artrage Gallery

Interesting concept but pardon me, wouldn't the composition be better if the apple were not kissing the bottom of the painting even if it is not there? I really like the colors of the background!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

... thanks, jibes, it is as you say, and D Akey also is very uncomfortable with the painting, but I couldn't think of a flawless way to represent failure ...
    Artrage Gallery

And there, Pete, is the unspoken koan at the heart of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Docsmith626 View Post
    ... the unspoken koan ...

So what is the sound of one hand painting?

There have been a few notable successes at representing failure ... Dante's Divine Comedy takes 14,000 lines in poetry to say it's impossible to describe in words a vision of God ... In Flaubert's Madame Bovary, Charles Bovary is a failed human being, a poor husband, a doctor who cripples his patient ... And everything written by Borges shows up our ridiculous human condition ... In painting, there is Bruegel's spectacular Tower of Babel, which illustrates collective human failure to speak in one spiritual tongue ... Of course, there are "epic fail" vids on YouTube, but more poignant are Ezra Pound's closing lines of his Cantos, admitting failure: "I have tried to write Paradise" ....
    Artrage Gallery

chinapete..ah it is wonderful to have you back on the forum, as your painting's and commentaries with D Akey and others always educate and illuminate!... I had viewed this work several times without leaving a comment as I found it complex, interesting and did not easily give up its secrets ... I liked it from the very start but wanted to understand why I liked it so.. the comments by DAkey and yourself definitely express some of the reasons for my appreciation. I will have to check out the book you are reading...

Hi Gary, thanks ... You might find the Rilke interesting, but if you are pressed for time, it's always worth revisiting Kandinsky's Concerning the Spiritual in Art (I'm sure you've read it, but you might not remember his discussion of what he believes is the highest form of abstraction, triangles):

"A good example is Cézanne's "Bathing Women," which is built in the form of a triangle. Such building is an old principle, which was being abandoned only because academic usage had made it lifeless. But Cézanne has given it new life. He does not use it to harmonize his groups, but for purely artistic purposes. He distorts the human figure with perfect justification. Not only must the whole figure follow the lines of the triangle, but each limb must grow narrower from bottom to top ... "

So even this most abstract of early modern painters is saying (in 1911), it's all right to talk about your art -- triangles are at the very core of Kandinsky's formal abstractions, but you might not know that by looking only at his paintings and nothing else ...
    Artrage Gallery

cp - yes I have read "Concerning the Spiritual in Art" a couple times but, I find that books of that quality require multiple readings as one understanding and perspectives evolve over time, you gain more insight and understanding with each reading... I found that Rilke's book on Cezanne had a Kindle edition and I am reading it now...and will get Kandinsky's also...