ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Yuhua stone

Yuhua stone

Recently I've been working a mixed media technique involving traditional physical media, such as rice paper and gel inks, and a variety of digital painting programs, including ArtRage, to create hybrid artworks somewhere between digital and non-digital ...

But this "Yuhua stone" was done exclusively in ArtRage, so I thought I would post it here ... Most of it was painted on the iPhone 5 with the driest oil brush setting, and there was a bit of post-work in ArtRage Studio Pro ... Yuhua river stones are famous in China for their vivid scenes of mountains, animals, mythical creatures and even writing (Chinese characters), all brought about by processes in nature ... They are valued for their absence of human artistry ...

The one I've painted could show a scene of autumn in the mountains, and is related to the Chinese "spirit stones" I've posted in the past on this forum ... You can see images of the real thing here:
    Yuhua stone
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-14-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Quite amazing! Thanks for the link. I never knew such things existed and was astounded by the collection of stones shown.
    Your painting has some really great texture and coloration. Good job!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

chinapete...great to see a post from you again...and a beautiful artistic statement without artistry.......like the dense color and 'rock" like texture..

Thank you for commenting ...
    Artrage Gallery

Hey ChinaPete. Good to see you back.

There was a rock collector, an old guy when I was a kid across the street who collected rocks and had all the cutting and polishing machinery. I was always amazed at the colors and richness and diversity of natural rock.

With many of them the outside of the rock was rather dull like any old rock. But cut them open and you could have treasures like these rocks you linked to. You could polish down to it no doubt as well. I asked him how you would know which ones had it and which didn't. I don't think he could say, though it was a long time ago and I may have forgotten. But I do recall the word "surprise".

Well, it's interesting that in a way you could be doing something similar in your painting process you're polishing and polishing and creating a gem.

Go Mr Pete Go!!!!! Dare I say, rock on!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi DA, thanks for the greeting,

I think of your rock collector as an artist, not only because of the surprise and joy he brought, but also because he seems to have known that much of art is in surface and depth:

The potential to shine is there,
    it takes work to bring it to light

By contrast, academic perspective, which all artists must and should learn, is always about things that are some distance away from us -- a different kind of depth, its extreme expression can be found in Dali's St. John of the Cross:
    Dali St. John

I plan to rock on ... stoned ...

*Red Pine, trans., The Zen Works of Stonehouse, 1999:97
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

Velcome Velcome

........ Mien Gott Quelle Colour Appy New Year ...........My Yacka Stone found on brighton beach seek and you shall find by.yk

........... SLAINTE ...........STATTE BBONE ................Si................................ .Si ...........................................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my.  old.  ChinaStone.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	72200  

thanks for the varm velcome eighty+, I see you've been busy as always as I've been off traveling the gutenberg galaxy ...
    Artrage Gallery

Hi. Pete. Just relized. I've. Missed. Out. On the Punch Line. Should have scribed. On my

Brighton. Stone. Made in. China. Ok

haha, where else could I get a cool-looking red cap like that? ...
    Artrage Gallery