ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus EP121: Windows 8 woes...

Asus EP121: Windows 8 woes...

So I recently got my hands on an EP121. Wonderful little tablet. I especially like that it came pre-loaded with AR (even though I already have Studio Pro). It comes stock with Windows 7 and, to be perfectly honest, I didn't really play with AR under 7 too much on it, so I don't know if I would be having this same problem. (I am planning on reinstalling 7 to see if _maybe_ 8 is my problem.)

Stroke lag. Bad.

I installed Win8 on it today and AR has yet to behave properly. I've tried every possible combination of settings under the 'input' options panel to no avail. (In fact, some settings cause the stylus to just freeze the screen. I have to then right-click/close the program from the taskbar.) I've tested the stylus in Windows Journal and Evernote and both respond properly.

I know a few of you have this tablet and would love to hear if you got AR working properly under 8. (7 just really lacks in the whole touch interface department.)

If there's a freeze happening it's likely to be a driver problem. Check with the manufacturer to see if there is a Win8 driver - ArtRage should work with Windows 8 out of the box (Realtime Stylus is the correct method for integrated touch screen devices and Win8). If there isn't a Win8 driver you may need to see if there are updates coming to support the new OS properly.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for such a quick reply!

I did try the official Windows 8 driver from Asus and not only was I still getting stroke lag, I wasn't getting proper pressure sensitivity. (Which seems to be a running theme with tablet PC manufacturers... Most users have to find drivers from OTHER devices to get them to work properly.) I've even updated the BIOS to the latest revision, thinking there might be some Win8 bugs there that could be causing the problem.

I'm going to go back to 7 today and make sure everything works properly in that respect before I troubleshoot this further.

Edit:
    Just finished doing the system recovery back to factory original on my tablet and AR runs exactly as it should, so I know the hardware works properly. And since people with tablets that have Windows 8 stock haven't reported any problems, I'm assuming it's as Matt says; a Windows 8 driver issue with this hardware. More testing is required.
    Last edited by tomatogoatee; 01-12-2013 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Just an update.

Alright, so I re-installed Windows 8 on my EP121 and still have problems with stroke-lag. The default Windows 8 drivers not only show stroke-lag problems, but also trouble reading pressure sensitivity. In my previous post, I said I had used the official Asus Win8 drivers. That was a mistake. I had actually tried the official Wacom Windows 8 drivers and while they solve the pressure sensitivity issue, the stroke-lag persists. The Windows 7 drivers from Asus will not even recognize the hardware (fail during install). I even attempted to grab the Windows 8 drivers for the Samsung 700-series Smart PC tablet, but those drivers fail to install as well.

So unless anyone can offer a suggestion on getting it working properly, I'm stuck with Windows 7...

Can you describe the stroke lag in as much detail as possible? i.e. what you see when you make a stroke, an example of how long the delay is.
    Where does it happen? e.g at the beginning of the stroke, the end or during, a delay before the stroke starts.
    Does it happen with all tools or some specific tools?

I just want to make sure I have a good idea of what you're seeing there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

What I mean when I refer to stroke-lag is when you put the pen to the tablet, there's a few hundredths of a second before it registers contact. If I press, wait, then start drawing, everything is fine. (ie: the line follows the cursor as you would expect) But short, quick strokes fail to register the entire stroke, leaving only one dot where the stroke should have started. (I wish I had taken some screen shots, but this thread describes what I'm experiencing fairly accurately. However, I am unable to get any of the potential solutions mentioned in that thread to work for me. (Even the EP121 suggestions.)

Like I mentioned before, AR is the only program that's suffering from this issue under Windows 8 that I've tested.

Thanks for that. Could you possibly email me at support@artrage.com with a quick reference to this thread? I'd like to do some more advanced troubleshooting with you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Funny- I was visiting these forums for the express purpose of seeking an answer to this one as well. I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate with Windows 8 on it. I never had the problem with Win 7 that I can recall, but it is incredibly bothersome in Windows 8. Wacom's drivers are likely partly to blame as there are different issues entirely in Photoshop. I have had varying results by turning off/on the Enable Right-Click by Touch and Hold in the Control panel pen prefs with Photoshop- but this doesn't affect the Artrage lag issue. Still, Sketchbook Pro (and technicaly Photoshop) and other apps I've tried do not have the press lag problem as found in Artrage. Any thoughts or fixes would be much appreciated as I would much rather use Artrage over Sketchbook Pro any day of the week Thanks!

With the Samsung Windows 8 Slate I ahve here ( Wacom digitizer ), I found that the driver seems to work best with the following input settings in ArtRage:

( Edit -> preferences -> Input )

Realtime Stylus - ON ( This is the current Windows input standard )
    Wintab - OFF
    Precise tablet - OFF ( default, doesn't appear to make a difference )
    Multitouch - ON ( default )

Otherwise I was seeing strokes not start at the exact point I touched the stylus to the tablet, especially at speed, or getting missed.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hmm. I switched to those settings, restarted and still have the lag issue. What happens is if i start drawing as soon as i push my pen down, the start of my line lags a little before starting,causing Artrage to draw a straight line at the beginning of my line (make sense?) I am pretty sure it is the same issue tomatogoatee is having. Are there any other settings i should look at? again, i do t have this issue in other apps. i am using the latest Wacom driver available. my coworker has the same tablet and has the same issue.