ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bob ross & why i hate him...

Bob ross & why i hate him...

God has blessed me and cursed me with the same hand. I am driven to create imagry, and driven to denounce anything I create as not good enough. I am approaching 70 years of age, with nothing solved. On the TV, David Hockney is presenting his latest image, He is a competent artist, and, like Picasso. will probably be quite "EnVogue" for a while. , where does that lead.
    Are you the best because you were the first...
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Well, Skylar, you're in large company. Most artists have at least a little or a lot of that 'not good enough' in them, even the famous ones. It pushes us up or ruins us, it slings us around and bullies us if we let it. We're forever waiting for the shoe to drop. That's why lots of artists are notorious for their "personal issues". Fame may look like the antidote, but in and of itself, it ain't. The issue lies in the heart regardless of the outside circumstances. If the demons are on us, they need to be dealt with perhaps on other levels because it may not be about whether we're a famous artist or not. On the other hand speculation on those demons being what drives us to greatness is also considered in that argument. And let us not forget the well-worn midlife crisis that visits many a doorstep, artist or not.

I never heard of Bob Ross before coming to this site. But I saw art teachers on TV so I kind of know what he was about. When I first came onto the ArtRage forums lots of users were talking about employing some of the tricks he did. I think that speaks of two things, that he was visible and that those folks who watched the magic unfold before their eyes wanted to also do the magic tricks he was showing how to do. And ArtRage provided the magic carpet. With this program everybody found themselves suddenly also painting on TV in a manner of speaking. So I can see the connection there.

If you're noting why Hockney is big and respectable vs why is Bob Ross, a TV painting teacher, I think there are many factors, not least of which is where they were each aiming and what they set out to do. Bob Ross could never have become big in Fine Art circles because he was showing how anybody could do what he did in a matter of minutes per painting, or however long each TV segment was. To use a cuisine analogy, if one's claim to fame are backyard BBQs, they will rarely be compared with a top famous TV chef like Emeril Lagasse, though both will have an audience. Ironically, neither one's food depends on the TV. It depends on the food, doesn't it.

I think that Hockney made his name in fine art circles first and then brought that reputation to those shows. I've only just recently ever seen Hockney's documentary shows so I can't say more than of what I saw, but he's a pretty sharp conceptual, contemporary thinker and has taken that vast observation and scope to those programs at least. I actually learned something from a show of his I just watched, and I know a considerable amount. Bob Ross is like a quick start section in a computer program's documentation. Both have their place.

Hang in there my friend. Enjoy the ride. And happy birthday in advance! 70? Well done you!
    Last edited by D Akey; 01-10-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Just my one cent worth .... art is in the eye of the beholder.
    There is much to discover, enjoy, become emotionally teary
    eyed over, be shocked about or possibly holding the finished
    piece close to your heart as if the artist was reading your
    mind .... your soul when he/she imagined then created it.

In closing, when my young son who was blessed with creative
    talent, among other art related discoveries watched Bob Ross's
    T.V. show religiously, just loved the how to paint program.

Grown now, my son is accomplished in his
    field as a concept
    artist. I won't give Bob Ross all of the credit but Mr. Ross did
    play an importent role in continuing to energize the imagination
    of a young fertile mind who was inspired, driven by the love of
    expressing
    one's self .... and still is and does!
    Last edited by Mairzie Dotes; 01-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Mairzie Dotes

If you want artistic wisdom in a twice weekly newsletter, try Robert Genn at http://painterskeys.com/ .

He's a very experienced Canadian artist, probably in his 70s, and so full of ideas on inspiration, artist practice, and much much more.

I've been getting it for years (free via email). Try it, you'll love it!

A now dead famous artist from my country, made a call to a critic, who had written that his latest work was perfect. He cried and said to the critic:

How could you, this is my purpose, and what in the world have you imagined I should do now?

Of course he meant it with a glimpse in his eyes, but isn't it a bit true, that nothing should ever forefill it's purpose perfectly, but always leave you with an urge to do it better?
    Last edited by Frisch; 01-12-2013 at 12:29 AM.