ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mixing complementaries to create greys?

Mixing complementaries to create greys?

When I use real soft pastels and mix yellow and its complimentary purple I get a dulled down yellow. In AR I get red.

Can anyone tell me what settings I need to adjust to get the same results in AR as in real soft pastels?

Use the Real Color Mixing option located on your Tools Menu. Tools > Color Options > Real Color Blending. Pallet knife for blending.

Name:  1-4-2013 8-07-13 AM.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  1-4-2013 8-10-15 AM.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  26.9 KB

Real Colour Blending is a pretty complicated system that attempts to simulate the blending of real paint with the limited digital palette we have available.

Yellow and purple when mixed in oils basically give red (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x38ZrGTK58k for an example) and the blend system we use is based on oil blending. Different properties of pigments can create different blends (for example the translucent nature of watercolour means that overlays of color behave differently to blends when mixing oil).

The main difference between the ArtRage system and a real oil system is that the amount of blended pigment is different. In ArtRage, the topmost colour on the canvas is the colour of all the paint beneath it, while blending with a real tool creates smaller amounts of pigment at the blended colour. This means that you can oversaturate the blend if the blended result colour is drawn in to the blend repeatedly as you work. The result is that the red you're seeing is more vivid than the red in the sample video (which goes brown) but the base blend appears to be correct.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks both of you for replying to my post. I'm very confused now unfortunately. Karen B's post was easy enough to follow but I've been exactly that to try and get grey but unsuccessfully.

MattRage's reply I don't understand, I think maybe it's too theoretical for me.

Regardless of my understanding, I've concentrated on MattRages's comment about purple and yellow making red. I've read a number of books on acrylic and oil painting and they all state that mixing purple with it's complimentary color (yellow) will grey down the purple. The same is said about red and green and blue and orange.

I've seen another post that shows real oil or acrylic mixes of yellow and purple (magenta) and it clearly makes red so apparently the books are wrong. However, when I mix real soft pastels of orange and purple I do not get red but a greyed down orange or vice versa (it depends on which of the two colors I lay down first).

I will keep trying in AR but I realize that ArtRage and real painting should not be compared 100% but instead should be exploited as they are and different techniques and sets of rules apply to each. I bought AR primarily to save on real paint and paper during my learning stage of painting but I will have to redefine my uses of AR. Despite the differences between AR and real painting, AR is an incredible simulator and worth every penny.

It sounds to me as if the properties of the pigment in pastels might create different blends when applied in the real world to oils, meaning that a yellow + purple oil blend which creates red may create a desaturated grey with a different type of pigment. Mixing red and green oils gives brown, so perhaps what the book is suggesting is that you can desaturate the red with green (desaturation meaning reducing the colour towards grey, even though it won't reach grey)?

It all relates to the way light works basically and I'm not entirely familiar with the physics
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I've tried Corel Painter Essentials 4 and the color blending works like I expect it to. Mixing red oil paint with green gives a darker red, yellow with a little purple gives a dulled down yellow and vice versa. The only problem is that AR has so much more real paint feel and authenticity that I don't see myself doing much with Essentials anyway.

RGB colour blending can produce those results (red + green gets darker, yellow + purple in the right quantities gives a duller result, though it's easy to tilt towards purple) but that's a digital model rather than a real world model. If you have Real Colour Blending turned on in ArtRage you will get Yellow + Purple = Red as per real oils. If you turn Real Colour Blending off then ArtRage will use the standard digital RGB model instead, which may feel more familiar to you depending on the tools you have used before.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.