ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mezzotint structure

Mezzotint structure

Hi all, best wishes for a very happy and good 2013.
    I am planning to make a series of images based on the mezzotint technique.
    To get the right structure I have been trying the Coarse canvas-structure, but it really looks to much like Canvas
    It should look more like a sea of tiny dots, a bit like abrasive paper.
    Does anyone know where to find a structure like that or how to make it?
    The trick of my technique is to make a completely black layer and then slowly and carefully erasing that black via a range of greys until you reach white ( the color of the layer below the black one).
    As soon as you start erasing the paper structure becomes visible.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

From what I know of Mezzotint, it deals with using a series of crosshatched dotted lines dented into a plate, for printing. Working from that, I figure the best way to mimic the effect, is to use a tool that works like it. So I've gone ahead and created a Sticker, and a group of Sticker Spray Presets, that can be used to mimic the style. I've packed them all into an ArtRage Pack file (.arpack), that can be downloaded here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27387217/Mez..._by_SOS.arpack

Just download the .arpack file to your desktop, then double click on it. It should open ArtRage for you, and bring up the .arpack installer panel, where you can then choose to add what you'd like. When you're done, you may locate the new presets by selecting the Sticker Spray tool, then opening your Presets panel, and locating the "Mezzotint" Group. (EDIT:I made the sticker and spray presets with ARSP 3.5.5, so you'll need to have that version, or higher, of the AR program to run open and use the .arpack).

EDIT:

Understanding the Presets:

♦ You'll see a bunch of presets that have numbers for names. These numbers represent the angle the brush tip is fixed. So if you select the preset named "015", the brush tip will be a line fixed at a 15% angle. I had to include the "0" in front of the single and two digit angles, for sorting purposes in the Preset panel.
    Why bother? In Mezzotint, the artist uses a number of chisel shaped tools to dent lines into metal plates. It'd be important to keep the tool at a set angle, in order to get sharp, clean edges formed. These presets are meant to work in the same tradition.

♦ "Freestyle 1" is set up to angle itself with your brush. The tip is set to draw perpendicular to the direction you're dragging your cursor. So if you were making a horizontal line, you'd end up with a stroke that looked like this:

Name:  example line1.png
Views: 248
Size:  9.5 KB

♦ "Freestyle 2" is also set up to angle itself with your brush, however the tip is set to draw somewhat in line with the direction you're dragging your cursor. So if you were making a horizontal line, you'd end up with a stroke that looked like this:

Name:  example line2.png
Views: 248
Size:  9.0 KB

Why is it so sketchy? Basically, I figured if you wanted a perfect line you could just use the pencil tool, so I made it more random.

/EDIT

Examples of what they can do:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mezzotint banner2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	71987

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mezotest.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	71988
    Last edited by Someonesane; 01-05-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added additional information for clarity of use.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Great fun

I've never heard of Mezzotint before, but after Googling it and looking at SOS's artwork I downloaded the ArtRage pack and have been having great fun playing around with the tools. So many thanks to Rob for letting me know this technique existed. But more so to Someonesane for his wonderful tool set.

Mezzotint

Thank you, Someonesane, for your help.
    I downloaded the file and doubleclicked on it, but then got a message about a backbone or something that could not make an object of it, then clicked OK and a former version of ArtRage opened, but nothing else happened.
    As I work on a Windows XP machine which I keep free of Internet, the file was downloaded on another machine and then copied to an USBstick which I inserted into my ArtRage computer.
    I do not understand what could be wrong.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Figee; 01-04-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fmc View Post
    I've never heard of Mezzotint before, but after Googling it and looking at SOS's artwork I downloaded the ArtRage pack and have been having great fun playing around with the tools. So many thanks to Rob for letting me know this technique existed. But more so to Someonesane for his wonderful tool set.
    No problem. Glad you like them

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Figee View Post
    Thank you, Someonesane, for your great tool. I will download it and try it.
    The examples shown look very convincing.
    I look forward to seeing to what you create. Let me know if you have any ideas for the presets, because I just made everything on the spot to test it out. There's likely some areas where things can be refined.

Hi, Someonesane.
    I certainly would like to try this tooL, but it is too bad I cannot get it installed. See my reaction above.
    I already contacted the helpdesk to see if they know what could be the problem with arpack files in my case.

EDIT: I found out I was working with Studio Pro 3.0.8
    I downloaded 3.5.5 and hope that this will solve the problems.

Thanks,

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Figee; 01-05-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Fantastic response Gaeton (someonesane). Your ever generous sharing of knowledge and resources is an example to us all. Many thanks.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

These are wonderful SOS. Thank you! You are very generous.

I took me a while to click that the numbers on the brushes are degrees of rotation from the vertical! Duh!! That's very clever

A whole new discipline to learn. Yum!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

I love the freestyle ones! Thank you for sharing. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Figee View Post
    EDIT: I found out I was working with Studio Pro 3.0.8
    I downloaded 3.5.5 and hope that this will solve the problems.
    Yeah, I should've mentioned that you might need to update to the newest version of Studio Pro, since I keep mine updated regularly. It was likely the reason it wouldn't work for you. I'll edit my first post, to include that information, to avoid further confusion from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    Fantastic response Gaeton (someonesane). Your ever generous sharing of knowledge and resources is an example to us all. Many thanks.
    Anytime Nick

Quote Originally Posted by hypotaxis View Post
    These are wonderful SOS. Thank you! You are very generous.

I took me a while to click that the numbers on the brushes are degrees of rotation from the vertical! Duh!! That's very clever

A whole new discipline to learn. Yum!

Brett
    Good point Brett. I'll add that bit information to my other post, so no one else will be confused. Hope you enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    I love the freestyle ones! Thank you for sharing. :0)
    No problem Copespeak, glad you like them