ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question about importing color samples

Question about importing color samples

I imported the Holbien oil samples. I've been experimenting with them, and can't seem to get accurate color mixing. Using thick oils, and palette knife. When using REAL COLOR BLENDING, all of the white, are very yellow. They look white on screen, but appear on the yellow side of the LS/H Picker When mixing with any of the blues, I get green, not light blue. I started out with the Cobalt blue, and zinc white, which I thought would get me the best light blue. I also tried turning REAL COLOR BLENDING off. the cobalt blue works better that way, but other colors don't mix as well.
    I've only started trying the Holbein Watercolor, but they seem to be mixing better.

I understand that there are always problems with color onscreen, but I'm just wondering if others have had the same experience.

Elaine

If you're getting a green when mixing a blue with a white colour, it sounds like there's a yellow component in that white sample that you downloaded. If you can mix the blue with a pure white and get a lighter blue, that will most likely be the problem. This yellow component in the sample you downloaded from another user will be causing the green result. Real colour blending isn't able to 100% accurately represent how colours blend in the real world, but this is the likely cause of the behavior you're seeing.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smile Thanks, so these colors aren't reliable?

Thanks, yes, there are 4 whites in the download, and they are all a bit yellow. when you sample the color, they are all on the yellow side of the color picker. So I'm just curious where these downloads originate from, and how they get started. Do they originate from Holbein somehow? Did someone scan the color chart and then turn them into samples? Maybe the color chart was a little "old and yellow"? LOL

It sounds like you downlaoded them from the forums, is that correct? If so, these will have been provided by another ArtRage user, so I'm not sure where they will have got them from unfortunately. It's likely they would have referenced an image or an original set of colours to create them. You could change the white colour, add the new samples and remove the old ones, then save the colour sample set from the samples panel - that would give you a replacement set without the yellows in your whites.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design