ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first freehand drawing

My first freehand drawing

I can't draw worth a darn but it seems to be the only thing that wards off this depression, the worst I've ever experienced. I guess my mom not being here hits me a little harder every day. Anyway, this is my first freehand drawing. I don't it's too bad for a first time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shroom.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	71874

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

What is inside you will play itself out, my friend. No way to anticipate it that I know of. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Do me a favor though and enough about that you can't draw or paint. The last two are pretty nice indeed. It shows that you can see the object, the detail, and you have a pretty good grasp of volume.

Since you're seeing the whole thing, the essential drawing part will come to be where you learn to be selective about which are the important and telling parts to accentuate. One can often times draw something with just a little bit of key informational marks. And once you get those, it could be enough where you could stop, or it could be the foundation upon which you build up to a more complete finish.

There are lots of ways to approach a drawing/painting, and I just mentioned one. It's a start. Think hierarchy of information.

There are generally two approaches to making an image: tonally or linear. But in either case you are still going to create an image that shows an evaluation of the essence of the subject. I'm talking about realism but it could also work for abstraction.

Anyway, right now that may seem from left field, but it's something to put into the popcorn popper and might set you to looking at things differently. Nothing keeping you from jumping suddenly to a particularly skilled drawing from this point forward, any time it clicks for you. I've seen it happen time and again with people. Like a growth spurt.

Nice stuff. Love the mouse, or ferret or whatever is possessing your avatar. Heh.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks, I have a pretty extensive experience in photography and I've found that art (drawing, painting, etc.) are very similar and if one understands composition in one it helps with the other.
    My avatar, btw, is Delilah, one of my favorite rats. She died about 2 months ago.

Photography's definitely going to fly you way ahead. I think a lot of people whose discipline was painting and drawing first and who never studied photography for composition could well have missed out. In the art training I got, it wasn't until much later when I crossed disciplines that my drawings and paintings really took off. Photographers, because they don't have as slow a learning curve that artists do can immediately start discussing composition, value relations, story telling where applicable and so forth. It's a brilliant thing to have in one's bag of tricks already.

This is one of the reasons why I can look at the new digital tools as offering fresh perspectives that will add so much to picture making because it shoots to the essence of making pics quickly without laboring through the mechanics of what artists have to go through. Drawing and painting develop the visual arts person in other ways that photography doesn't deal with so much.

Yet all these visual disciplines play very well together and certainly round out the artist.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Keep going! it's working! :0)

This is a great first freehand and I am sure that you could make a very good scene adding more and more to this, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

I got out of photography because I didn't like it and because my step dad forced me to do it. Then digital came out and I could mix photography and computers. Ah! A whole new world! I started shooting again and have never stopped. I have 4 digitals, 2 of which are used every day. The possibilities are endless.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through and I'm glad art is helping you in this grieving process! Keep them coming!

Artrage is very quickly becoming my favorite passtime, thanks.

loosening' exercises

To further build confidence in your drawing skills there are a number of 'loosening' exercises that can be easily tried alone or in a group.