ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Art and Eyestrain

Art and Eyestrain

Maybe my eyes are just getting weaker with time, but does anyone else feel greater vision problems after so many hours drawing with the computer vs traditional pen/pencil on paper? My eyes begin to fatigue after about 2-3 hours, and then I have to stop for the rest of the day...

What's the longest non-stop painting anyone's endured before finally deciding to give their eyes a break?

Well I'm an old guy and I can work all day with no problem..
    I use an IMac but I tend to drop the brightness a little and being a 21" screen I do not sit too close.
    Geoff

My behind gets sore before my eyes do. :0)

My optometrist said glasses can help a lot to block harmful rays if your monitor is an older one.

My eyes have really gone. . . but then I've used my eyes intensively for a loooooong time. I asked my optometrist about it (2 different ones actually) and each said it was that I was aging. I said, "Gee. . ." I actually can still look at a computer for a long time doing work, but reading a regular paper old fashioned non-electronic book is hard.

You may want to use the zoom feature regularly, take breaks, RELAX! and don't forget to blink.

All that happy ergonomic stuff is helpful.

I play the guitar. I'm learning, and I find myself gripping the guitar in a stranglehold baby. . . from the intensity of my attempt to get the notes I'm trying to play to sound like music, or to run scales faster, and all that stuff that ultimately leads to me calling the rescue guys who drag in their 'jaws of life' to pry the guitar from the spastic concavity o' me torso at the end of a practice session. The emergency crew is now on bass, drums and siren.

But my eyes are doing better.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

An interesting side to my earlier post is that I wear trifocal glasses which helps me a great deal.
    For much of my working life I was a computer engineer constantly looking at multiple computer screens and being short sighted anyway I found that with bifocals they never really hit the mark as I need another in between distance for computer screens.
    I have been retired some ten years now and I still stick with my trifocals as they are perfect for the computer screen at home so no real eye strain .
    Geoff

I'm near-sighted and find myself staring at my 11.5" laptop screen more than my 21" desktop monitor. Maybe I should get specific glasses for computer wear, especially if I'm doing digital artwork? I used to read tons of books as a kid with my nose almost pressed to the pages for hours, but now, I can't even read a regular book for one hour without my eyes hurting. Those electronic gadgets like the Kindles help a little though so it must be my eyes.

Wise advice there about taking mini breaks, but I forget to relax because I always tend to be extremely focused when I'm working on my art.

I've been working with digital art for some time now.. and my eye doctor said to be sure to take breaks to reduce eye strain. Even if it's just looking out the window for a few minutes, that will help.

Something that I've found recently that helps with my work flow is a break timer. We all know that we tend to work longer than we should, and it ends up being a game of diminishing returns. So, now I have a break timer that I can program and little messages pop up when I should take a break. It works pretty well, actually.

It's by Davide Vitelaru, and it's called Breaker. I'm too new to post links, but if you google "breaker" you will find it on the first page.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Peony View Post
    I've been working with digital art for some time now.. and my eye doctor said to be sure to take breaks to reduce eye strain. Even if it's just looking out the window for a few minutes, that will help.

Something that I've found recently that helps with my work flow is a break timer. We all know that we tend to work longer than we should, and it ends up being a game of diminishing returns. So, now I have a break timer that I can program and little messages pop up when I should take a break. It works pretty well, actually.

It's by Davide Vitelaru, and it's called Breaker. I'm too new to post links, but if you google "breaker" you will find it on the first page.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, Peony! I do tend to overwork my eyes when I'm concentrating on getting a project done. I will try out that 'breaker', and I'm due for an optometrist appt so I might ask for specific glasses to reduce computer eyestrain too.