ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which way home now?

Which way home now?

Watercolours again.

Brett

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	which way home.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	71852
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Very rich with ambiance. Sort of iconic and a focus for meditation.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

hypotaxis,
    A moving, reflective piece.

Mairzie Dotes

i love the simplicity. So little, yet it says a lot.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Very nice, a lone figure looking out to sea, maybe waiting for a friend.
    Love the subtleness of the colours.
    Geoff

love the watercolor in this and the illustration style.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. Glad you like it.

Can someone tell me please, what is the difference between a painting and an illustration? I hear them used but I can't get clear what the difference is. I think maybe I am "naturally" an illustrator, but I really don't know!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

This is very good and I can see a fine story to go along with it, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Brett..wow this is so rich in watercolor like texture and handling of color.. I like the softness of the sky vs the spiky textures of the grasses.. You bring up an interesting question about illustration vs painting.. In my opinion illustrations seem to have clean lines , crisp accurate drawing and flat areas of colors although not always ( Norman Rockwell ) and seem to show ( illustrate ) a story point. In this painting one can imagine it showing a particular point in a story. As a great fan of your work to me it is painting at a very sophisticated level, spare yet rich in texture and color and concept.

I found this which is a definition with which I tend to agree: http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2011/02/illustrations_are_considered_a.html
    " ILLUSTRATION VS. FINE ART: Although both types of work -- illustration and fine art -- can rival one another in style and artistic skill, it is generally held that illustrations are somewhat "less than" fine art in that they are produced to complement textual information, while fine art is created as a complete expression of the artist for its own sake.Except in the cases of such notable illustrators as Norman Rockwell, the drawings and paintings by known artists that have been designed to be printed in books or magazines do not carry the same regard by the art community -- or price tag -- as those that were produced to stand alone."
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 12-30-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    Brett..wow this is so rich in watercolor like texture and handling of color.. I like the softness of the sky vs the spiky textures of the grasses.. You bring up an interesting question about illustration vs painting.. In my opinion illustrations seem to have clean lines , crisp accurate drawing and flat areas of colors although not always ( Norman Rockwell ) and seem to show ( illustrate ) a story point. In this painting one can imagine it showing a particular point in a story. As a great fan of your work to me it is painting at a very sophisticated level, spare yet rich in texture and color and concept.

I found this which is a definition with which I tend to agree: http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2011/02/illustrations_are_considered_a.html
    " ILLUSTRATION VS. FINE ART: Although both types of work -- illustration and fine art -- can rival one another in style and artistic skill, it is generally held that illustrations are somewhat "less than" fine art in that they are produced to complement textual information, while fine art is created as a complete expression of the artist for its own sake.Except in the cases of such notable illustrators as Norman Rockwell, the drawings and paintings by known artists that have been designed to be printed in books or magazines do not carry the same regard by the art community -- or price tag -- as those that were produced to stand alone."
    Howdy. I will keep this brief because it's someone else's thread, but in a way I see every artist is an illustrator because they are creating images to explain or assist or evoke a mood, reveal the less tangible, show a concept of one kind or another. Fine artists are themselves the product as much as their painting. Illustrators are hired guns. And as they say, there's lots of potential for overlap between.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream