ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I have to be a cartoonist first?

I have to be a cartoonist first?

So I have to be a cartoonist with extensive skills in drawing in order for me to do three panel cartoons? Isn't that a separate skill set before even using ArtRage? If so, I would have been better served to learn that before attempting to use the program because I am not, in fact, a cartoonist, and thus, the experience of using the program is totally lost one me. If I'm wrong about that, someone enlighten me because I don't see a set of tools to help me draw basic cartoon figures.

This sounds suspiciously silly. Hahahaha.

Perhaps try the free trial version and see what you can do. I kind of doubt that's a real question though, is it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Well let's see...

1. Pencil
    2. Eraser
    3. Ink Pen
    4. Text Tool
    5. Ruler
    6. French Curve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basics.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	71855

Yep... Sure looks like the tools a person needs are present. They only need a willing participant to push them around.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Welcome to the forums Rager.

You also have "Stencils" and you can make your own. All the tools are here and much more. Stickers too.

Check out all the tutorials and Art Supplies here in those forums.

and ArtRageUS Magazine www.artrageus.net

Youtube has many tutorials too.

Which version of ArtRage do you have?

Experiment with your tools and have fun doing it.

We look forward to seeing your art here.

Quote Originally Posted by germanized View Post
    So I have to be a cartoonist with extensive skills in drawing in order for me to do three panel cartoons? Isn't that a separate skill set before even using ArtRage? If so, I would have been better served to learn that before attempting to use the program because I am not, in fact, a cartoonist, and thus, the experience of using the program is totally lost one me. If I'm wrong about that, someone enlighten me because I don't see a set of tools to help me draw basic cartoon figures.
    Erm! If somebody told you that drawing on the pc was easier than drawing in real media then I'm afraid you were misinformed. It always pays to learn to draw and paint, if you want to draw and paint, whatever the medium. And it takes practice to get better. The same applies to any skill you learn, surely?

If it is that somebody suggested ArtRage as a good tool to draw and paint in, then you were definitely not misinformed. As someonesane has pointed out, you have all the tools you need that correspond to what most will accept are a basic options for cartoon creation in real media. If you are wondering about the creation of panels/boxes, then they can be provided through the stencils. I would suggest knocking out some blanks first - ie - create some template sheets with prepared boxes to work your art into (it will save you time later).

It should be pointed out that AR is not a dedicated comic creation tool, but a more than capable software to undertake such a task. Do please start a thread and post any such comics you create here, asking all the questions that crop up for you. We tend to be a friendly bunch here and would want you help you through the initial learning curve, if that's something you'd like.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 12-28-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. My question has been answered. The program is absolutely grizzly in presentation and it does absolutely nothing I cannot more conveniently do with a piece of paper and the tools an earlier responder mentioned. And yes, I was misinformed, based on the figures found on the cover of Bamboo Splash, showing high quality figures of a man and some monsters. To think that they were created (and I have no doubt they were) by someone using ArtRage is to say that that person or persons spent an inordinate amount of time using the tools to achieve THAT level of expertize. Good for them. Unfortunately, I need to earn a living and would not be able to invest the enormous amount of time necessary to reach this level of success. ArtRage is eerily reminiscent of the learning curve of PhotoShop and Illustrator, two programs that took me years to perfect. I see no difference here. Except those programs did not infer that they would be easy tools to use in my design work, something clearly inferred on the Bamboo cover. Bait and Switch. Fortunately for me, the program was given to me as a gift and someone will benefit as they obtain it from Craigslist where it will be placed after this post.
    Last edited by germanized; 12-28-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Perhaps there should be a warning on the box. Suitable for ages 3 to 110. Warning: Seems to be more intuitive for children to use. Some artistic talent or ability may be required to do elaborate professional cartoons.
    Oh, by the way, my grandson wants his own copy of ArtRage. How much are you asking for yours on Craigslist?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Sorry to hear you don't like the software. ArtRage has been designed with ease of use in mind, it shouldn't have the learning curve of a lot other art software packages. If you need help with anything specific please feel free to email me at support@artrage.com and I'll be glad to advise.

Otherwise, you may find the manual useful ( Help -> ArtRage Help ). The "How to Paint Using ArtRage" section tells you how to paint, select colours and tools and so on.

Artrage is primarily a freehand drawing and painting application, while it has some additional features to help with art making.

As with any such program, it's not going to teach the user how to paint specifically, but real life art skills will translate well into using ArtRage, there's some good crossover.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Homer Simpson, move over. . . "Stupid Bamboo and ArtRage! DOH!"

Just harness it, bro and stay in character. You're on your way!!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

At times like these, my forum signature always comes to mind.

You'll never find a tool that makes your images a masterpiece. Either you find a way to make it look the way you want it to look, or it will never happen. Do you buy the latest Air Jordans, and really expect that you'll now be an NBA star? Does buying a certain guitar, allow you to memorize every idiosyncrasy of the other great guitarists of the world? Some jets have an autopilot, so I guess that means anyone can fly them, right? Of course not...

Nothing is easy to the unwilling
    . Either be willing to do the work, or be willing to settle with the results. It's as simple as that.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.