ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage and Windows 8

Question ArtRage and Windows 8

Hi all,

Recently, I was hacked on my PC desktop and PC laptop computers....They died and were not repairable to the point of just buying a new computer. I did. doh

So, I have a new laptop and Windows 8 Pro.

Win 8 has the ability to free up any needed memory needed by the current program that you are running. Wow. with ArtRage 3 Pro, this makes it absolutely faster than a speeding bullet. All of my original artworks are huge sized and were so slow but now......zipping along. A huge difference. I bought Win 8 Pro for $39.99 online upgrade from Microsoft (special offer until Jan 31, 2013)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...72&WT.search=1

It was not without some minor problems though. The MS update did not work at all, now they have fixed it and it is awesome. Basically it was designed for touch screen computers. It does have the desktop too though. As I use a Wacom Fun (pen and touch) tablet it enables me to interact with the touch screen....nice. Other than the above problems initially, I did encounter one other.....my DVD drive was not working or even recognized. I found the problem.....it was a program that I had just installed by Arcsoft....it reset the SATA port and caused the problem. I simply uninstalled it and wala....all was good. No problems since at all with Win 8 Pro. I am really loving it now.

I am wondering how many Ragers have made the switch to Windows 8
    ? How do you like it and is it going good for you with ArtRage? I am writing a story for the magazine on this so your comments (unless you request not to be included) will be in the story. Thanks much....if you do not request that your comments be excluded from the magazine story, they will be included....the point is to show how all Ragers are experiencing Windows 8 with ArtRage. Gee I hope I am not the only one....hehe

Thank you for any comments and opinions or experiences shared. Any approved comments will be in the March 2013 Issue.

Bobbyray ArtRageUS Magazine
    This is a screenshot of the touch screen (not desktop, it is the same as Win 7) view and is used as a reference for your knowledge of its appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bobbyray; 12-26-2012 at 06:37 AM.

If i should buy win8 online? how does that works if i have to re install? and what about games? i love simulation games(farming simulator, ETS2 (euro truck 2) ect....,what about photoshop? and other app's in that spectrum?

PS,and why should some1 change his windows, i bought win7 no sooo long ago.....is it worth it for the things(see above) that i do?

I've just bought a 27 inch Touchscreen XPS Dell with Windows 8, and wow, is that a luxury!

After initial hardware issues that required a new hard drive ... which they personally delivered and installed on site way up in country Victoria, it has been a joy, but a big learning curve after a 6 y.o. 15inch screen Asus. See specs the XPS here, so you know what I'm working with:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-35485706.html

Before I installed Art Rage, and afterwards, I found the drawn pencil lines had steps in them, and was totally unacceptable. Painting Oils seemed OK. I installed my Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, and voila! It solved that problem immediately. Touchscreen is now smooth and so is the tablet.

I can crank up my brushes to 600 and it still works OK. Some brushes are better than others, but there is little lag. I would assume that's because I am working with a large capacity computer with 64 bit, but there could be improved interaction with Art Rage, I don't know.

Windows 8 is a big turnaround from the Vista I was using, and it takes some time to learn how to drive it. The everyday photo/picture viewing process is very confusing, with lot of different options, but it will become clearer as I practice.

I also find the tiles irritating and have set up my old style desktop as well, with shortcuts to everything I need to get my hands on.

You can't get your email programs, Outlook Express and Windows Mail, but I have accessed Windows Live Mail, which works OK.

My Canon LIDE25 Scanner doesn't work anymore as I can't get a Windows 8 Driver, and will have to be accessed via my old laptop. My HP Laser Jet needed an upgrade and now works well. I am hoping my big Epson Printer will be all right, but it's not very old, unlike the others. I don't use Word very often, just for letter and labels and such, and am too stingy to buy it, so found a free program Jarte, which seems to do all that I need. See: http://www.jarte.com/

To sum up, I'm in heaven! It all works beautifully, I have a huge screen that can be painted on like an easel FAST! Tools, reference and canvas, and room to spare.

This sounds like a review for other products as well, but I can't separate the experiences. I hope it is enlightening anyway!

I made the jump and I am not sure why I did. I swore I wouldn't because I loved Windows 7. The reason I loved Windows 7 was because it really was smooth and flawless as a Mac Os and it looked so much like a mac OS. Having been a mac person most of my life. My old mac got left out of an artrage update to only intel Macs so I got a pc.

Now I have done pretty much a 180 or 360. I think Windows 8 is on to something brilliant. A new way of interacting with information and seeing your desktop.
    For someone with Windows 7 already it is a "no brainer" because the update to Windows 8 will leave your old Windows 7 desktop just the way it was. There will be no start menu on the Windows 7 side. Clicking on the desktop panel in the Metro view of Windows 8 brings you right back to the Windows 7 view you are accustomed to. I think it is highly advantageous to have a machine with Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 8 for the very reason that the old familiar way to navigate in Windows 7 is only a click away.

I say there is no start menu and so do many others, mostly not favorably, until I realized the other night: The Metro start view along with it's charm bar = the start menu. It has just been taken out of the corner we are used to and put into this beautiful display that actually is way easier to navigate than the start menu was. Applications of course will run the same as they did in Windows 7. Applications may run a bit smoother and faster.

A swipe with a finger or a cursor toward the left corners brings up the Metro start menu view of Windows 8.
    The Metro tiles can be made active to display content within their little pane. That is a really cool feature. You can actually anchor a folder you use often to the Metro view. Say a folder full of ArtRage paintings in jpg or png form. You would see the tile show a miniature slideshow of those works right inside the tile. This feature of displaying live or static content within a tile can be turned off and just get a generic looking tile. For Flicker images I downloaded an app from the Windows App Store especially for Flicker and it cost $2.99 US. Not sure what that is in Euros. Probably 1.5. That app can make a folder on Flickr show a live update of say recent uploads of images from your friends. Pretty cool. Something they had a long time ago and I have surely missed. I used to have a floating widget for Flicker on my mac a few years ago. I think they had to stop making it available because of copyright issues, but it sure was cool. It would show all the recent paintings or photos that my friends uploaded to Flicker. One click on a tile within that widget would take you directly to the painting or photo on your friend's page on Flicker. Then you can "favorite" it or comment on it. This has always been a dream of mine for the ArtRage forum. To have a way to view all recently commented on or uploaded paintings in a visual window, widget or perhaps a "live" tile.

Downside of the installation for me was I spent some agonizing time with a loud crackling sound in my speaker. Well it turns out that my computer which is about four years old had a sound card that was no longer supported by the company who made it. After scouring the web for a day and reading of people who had a similar problem with no one having a solution. I was in a sort of frustrated limbo. I did figure out that is was my sound card by switching my speakers to our tv and the crackle pop disappeared. Then I looked up the company who made my sound card and went to their site and they did not have an updated driver for the card. After leaving a few comments for Microsoft low and behold at the end of the day a new update came out for Windows 8 especially for my sound card. I ran the update and voila... no more snap crackle and pop. we need music to paint right? Also I find that sometimes I am staring at a completely white screen. That is a bit annoying. Easily cured by swiping or a cursor move to the corner to bring up the Metro start screen.
    You will also have to spend some time getting rid of icons on the Metro start screen that you have no intention of ever using. For me that would be Financial investments and music. I have Spotify and Itunes that I prefer for Music. The Music pane on Windows 8 will take you to Xbox Music. It is a bit too aggressively geared toward buying something. I feel like I am always a click away from them wanting me to buy something or other. (The future?) It is more like an Itunes store than it is like an Itunes app itself if you stay away from the Store link. So I hid the music tab and instead pinned Spotify and Itunes to my Metro start screen.

It will take a bit of customizing things the way you want them before you come upon the realization of how much better the Metro start screen actually is for the user than the old start menu.
    Getting used to the new ways of navigation will actually get easier and easier and actually give way to a faster way of navigating around. One that is much more the way we tend to move from one thing to the other. I have found a really good tutorial on youtube after some searching. Makes it so easy to understand the way things work now. Windows 8 Beginner's Guide tutorial on youtbube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E1Ux...&feature=share

and Windows 8 Beginner's guide part two:
    http://youtu.be/Q0EspF7mY6w

So, even with a few setbacks, I am loving Windows 8. Especially because it is just an update to Windows 7 at this time and the upgrade does not need to clear any of your documents or apps. They are all kept without harm. It takes a bit of time for the updater to assess what extensions or apps are not compatible with the update. That is nice to know though so worth the time. The update itself goes by faster than the compatibility assessment portion.

I am loving the Windows 8 update now and particularly the way you can modify the Metro start screen to hold your favorite apps and places. It took me awhile to figure out how to get an Internet Explorer icon to show up on my Metro start screen. That was because the app is actually called iexplorer.exe rather than internet explorer that I kept looking for. Once you pin the iexplorer app to your start menu you will see the familiar ie logo. Other apps you already have installed will show up as icons... including ArtRage. One click and the app opens. Just like the old taskbar. If you do not have Windows 7 already you will lose the beauty of having it to revert back to when the need or desire should arise. This would be the case with a new tablet or laptop that came only with Windows 8. Sorry for your loss. The price of progress I guess. Overall it must be a really great program for tablet navigation, I know how hard it is for some PC people to accept change, (smiles) but I must say that once you get used to using it on your pc desktop or a mac with windows 8 partition, you will really start to see the future of navigation and it is a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metro start screen Albert.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	71826  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Would it be worth upgrading an old laptop that is running vista to windows 8, it has a 15" screen with 2mg of ram its about 4 years old, but it hasn't really been used that much its mainly been used when away.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thumbs up

I purchased Win 8 Pro online and downloaded the update. it took about 5 hours to get it all done. I would recommend getting the disks for that reason. Once installed I made the OS disk copy and backed it all up. If you state in the beginning install setup you can save all your current programs and files or do a fresh clean install and lose all your personal files and programs. You can not change back once you do. Be careful with that or you may lose all of your personal files.

Goto the link I posted above to see all of the details on Win 8 Pro. It will also offer you a small download tool to see if your computer meets the min requirements for Win 8 Pro. (before purchase).

It appears confusing at first when you open it up for the first time, but, just move the cursor to the left bottom left corner and wala....
    All menus and such are on the 4 corners. invisible)

If you download it.........JUST WAIT and wait and wait....it is working.....relax and have a coffee. ((((((((:>5+ hours for me)
    After install...read the HELP section. or ask here for help. Now that you know some of us here have it. We can help you along.

PS Rondo>>>>>>it is supposed to be the best for GAMES too. Speed and Memory use.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    Would it be worth upgrading an old laptop that is running vista to windows 8, it has a 15" screen with 2mg of ram its about 4 years old, but it hasn't really been used that much its mainly been used when away.
    an even simpler overview of Windows 8:
    Windows 8 in 4 minutes:

http://youtu.be/wi8NpwiEuzc

Having used it awhile on my pc. I believe I definitely will be installing it on my macbook. I really like the way those tiles do live picture updates within the tiles and change the images inside them. It is very cool. Windows 8 can be updated from Vista, but not from XP. It requires Vista or Windows 7. You should be alright with Vista. Once you get used to Windows 8 I think you will be loving it. And also the touch features will work with a few different input devices from Logitech. They have two mice with multi-touch features on top of the mice and a touchpad to use with Windows 8. with multitouch features. It will work with a standard mouse hooked to your laptop or with your touchpad also, just not as much fun as with the multitouch swiping and scrolling.
    Like Bobby said you will have some folks who can help you through the process.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FYl7Qgodg3EALg
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Also for those who really hate change...there is also a $5 app called: Start8. The Start button is back, you boot to the desktop, yet get the speed and reliability of Windows8.

Oh screenpainter, you have shamed me! I will have to go back to the Start Page and play some more! It looks so gorgeous too!

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Oh screenpainter, you have shamed me! I will have to go back to the Start Page and play some more! It looks so gorgeous too!
    No shame at all. I really enjoyed your post and I found it very informative. It seems we have both had a few jags with the new OS, but are seeing the real beauty of it emerge. I am now having a few messages pop up in internet explorer. One more thing to track down. It took me hours to figure out how to pin a favorite webpage to the metro menu. but I am old and well not all there. I am having fun learning I must say. Glad you liked my metro start page. I am still working on it. I was really happy when I found how easy it was to delete metro boxes you don't want and to move the boxes around so easily by just dragging to new position. It automatically shuffles the tiles around to best accommodate the move. And then you can make them big or small so easily. I love the Flickr app I found for $2.99 that shows what photos and artworks have been uploaded by my contacts in a live content window. Thanks for liking my metro page.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-26-2012 at 10:12 PM.