ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Self-portrait (finished, but would welcome critique) ...

Self-portrait (finished, but would welcome critique) ...

Would appreciate some critique here (good or bad) so to help me grow with my painting skills. Thanks in advance to those who reply here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Omnimaxus View Post
    Would appreciate some critique here (good or bad) so to help me grow with my painting skills. Thanks in advance to those who reply here.
    Hi Omnimaxus,

I find the bold, warm tones you have created in this to be pleasing and the palette knife effects in places such as on the cheek very satisfying and convincing of real oils or acrylics. I find the beard and eyebrows look a bit unfinished and stuck on. I would try to blend it into the face with a fine palette knife effect as you have done elsewhere. Try to take away the obvious similar shape of the brush strokes you have created the beard with.

I would take a little more time on the eyes also. They are always the most important part of a portrait, I think. I am no art teacher but would suggest that the pupils of the eyes (the dark area) are too small (compared with the size of the teeth for example) and the white of the eyes is too white, needs dulling down, particularly directly under the eyelid. Also the reflection dot of light in the eye is too large. Usually just a small white speck or two is convincing enough, but ensure that both eyes have similar specks.

May I also suggest you make your signature less prominent. As a potential purchaser of this painting I think I would find it a distraction.

Whatever you do, don't lose the playfulness you've demonstrated in this painting. In lots of ways it is great, just as it is.
    Last edited by Charlipadart; 12-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Good job! I agree the eyes need a bit more work. The irises are different sizes and could be a bit larger, and the inside corners have a pink section, and the outer don't. Look at some images of eyes to see how that works. Yes, more pupil and less bright spot. Putting the light in the centre of the eye is too predictable and unreal. Put it off to the side (equal on both eyes from the same light source), and smaller. Mouth is great and lovely cheery expression.

Paint your changes onto a new layer, so if you don't get it right you can revert to the old one and try again. Merge down when you're happy.

Paint on! :0)

ok i LOVE the way you have rendered the skin. I think you need to go back and re-examine the shape of your head and also how your hair lays. I think the strokes are a bit bold but you have a killer color palette going on here---those warms that you used to make the skin are perfect--remember that the human head is NOT round, its actually a block with planes--keep that in mind on your next portrait--look for those planes and the way the light strikes them---outstanding first job!