ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Tablet Recommendations?

Question Graphics Tablet Recommendations?

Right now, I'm just using the stylus that came with my laptop for my ArtRage program, but I'd like to finally upgrade to a 'real' graphics tablet. I've read that Wacom (Bamboo Create?) seems to be very popular, but a friend also suggested Monoprice... any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi

I use the Wacom Fun tablet...pen and touch. As I have a pc laptop running windows 8 Pro I can use it to use the touchscreen icons without my mouse. Kinda cool. It is a good tablet and affordable too. Genius tablets are very affordable but I have never used one of them so I can not say. Good luck and enjoy what ever you decide to buy. I guess it depends on what your goal is: Pro or Hobbyist.

Happy Holidays

As far as Wacoms are, the Create should suit just fine if you're not willing to spend a lot. Though I don't actually have a Bamboo Create, I still use a Graphire3 that I got in 2004 that's functioning perfectly and is still in fact supported to date by Wacom. Hope that helps, and good luck!

I have my second Wacom and think they are the most supported among tablets. The Bamboo Create is probably the best for a starter. That's what I started with to make sure I was really interested in digital art.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Thanks guys! Since my piggy bank is still a bit starved, I'll try the cheaper Monoprice first even though the Bamboo Create looks amazing. I'd like to have the tablet to help me paint and merge backgrounds onto my traditional art pics. For me, art is somewhere in between hobby and profession, but having fun doing it and feeling proud of my creations are my top priorities. If I can learn well enough on the cheaper tablet, maybe I can upgrade later on...

Quote Originally Posted by Starry_Eve View Post
    Thanks guys! Since my piggy bank is still a bit starved, I'll try the cheaper Monoprice first even though the Bamboo Create looks amazing. I'd like to have the tablet to help me paint and merge backgrounds onto my traditional art pics. For me, art is somewhere in between hobby and profession, but having fun doing it and feeling proud of my creations are my top priorities. If I can learn well enough on the cheaper tablet, maybe I can upgrade later on...
    I bought the model HA60. It is excellent. If your budget covers it I recommend do to the high LPI 4000 (better then the Wacom Bamboo).
    Just as important - the pressure sensitivity curve is very accessible! That is - you get the 0 to 1024 pressure levels easily. Not all tablets are set up as well in this regards, and this is a critical as any factor. I also have a model P608N (made by Huion - nut under another brand name). It has 2048ps but it's curve is not as efficient. It's best range is from 0 to 1800 or so PS. After that you are really pushing hard on the stylus. It is a smoother better tablet, but is a good example of why you can't just go by numbers.
    Also - the Monoprice (actually both) work really well with ArtRage (which I just purchased - having used the free version and seeing how well it worked with my tablets).

Are all those models you recommended made by Huion? I've never heard of them...

Sorry for the delayed response - I haven't been on the forum for a few days. No, the Monoprice HA60 (as listed on their site: Product ID: 6814 10x6.25 Inches Graphic Drawing Tablet w/ 8 Hot Key) is made by UC logic to spec for Monoprice (as is the rest of the Monoprice line up).
    The Huion P608N I bought was badged under DigiPro. Both companies use the same digitizer technology and can even swap styli. I picked up the Huion P608N (at geeks.com) for less then the Monoprice - but Monoprice is better backed. They are both exceptional tools.
    They both use a battery powered stylus. One difference is that the Huion uses a non auto on/off stylus. There is a button on the end of it - like a pen light flash light. So you have to remember to turn it off. The Monoprice has a passive on/off stylus (turns on when you touch the tablet, and off after you set it aside). The batteries last a loooong time (so you don't have to worry about running through batteries).

I wrote a review of these here. I posted the specs for both in comparison to the Wacoms. There are links to other reviews as well: http://uberzilla.deviantart.com/journal/?offset=1

Note: I use Windows. I know the Monprice has been tested by other artists on the Mac with no problems. I have not read of another artist using the Huion on the Mac - but - and this is a big but - Huion is pushing themselves as a pro graphics tablet company in the east (China etc.). I am running both the Huion and the Monoprice on the drivers provided by Huion (I already mentioned they use the same technology). So I suspect that the same can be expected on a Mac (Macs are just as popular for artists in the east). Just want to make sure you have all the info I can offer - and check other sources as well.

They are both a good choice.
    Last edited by uberzilla; 01-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Good articles, thanks uberzilla! My Monoprice should be arriving in the next day or so, but is there really an issue with the driver not auto-installing via Windows 7? And I hope those extra nibs last a long time because I couldn't find them to buy on the Monoprice website.

The drivers should load fine. The only issue is that sometimes (didn't happen with the Monoprice drivers which I was running for a month before the Huion tablet arrived and I started running off those drivers) Windows' built in tablet support drivers will load, in place of the proper drivers. There is a very easy fix for that - turning off that service.
    Do remember to install the drivers before plugging in the tablet (windows drivers can interfere).

Link to new nibs:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Note: the upgrade pen on Monoprice website is also excellent - though not necessary.