ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What Price Art?

What Price Art?

How do you decide what to price your art and should digital art cost less than traditional art?

Also, would it be accurate to say that the general public still believes digital art to be 'inferior' to traditional art and that digital art could never command the same level of monetary value as an original painting done by the old-fashioned, manual technique?

Thumbs up

Hi Starry Eve

Well, that is a tough one. Any artist selling their art digital or traditional must have some ground to stand on. So, having said that, consider this:

How good is your art? Professional artists (digital or traditional) must make their art available for sale and usually in a gallery (online or traditional).

A beginning Pro seeks to make a name for themselves and thus begin their prices at a very fair pprice and that grows with sales and demand.

To begin with, have a look at many of the online galleries artworks prices as related to your artworks. Go from there. ie: Deviant art, Fine art America and so on.

Once you start having a following, increase your price a bit and so on. It works.

A artist website is important too. Choose wisely and have a professional level site.

It is really a totally digital world now and people are coming around to it. Most movies made now are using digital artists due to the possibilities and cost of traditional travel and costs. So, yes digital is the future and the future is now. We as digital artists are creating the future. ArtRage helps us to move forward. Traditional art? Yes it will always be awesome and wanted. It is what it is. It is nice if you can afford it but with digital art it is more appealing to buyers and can be used as is online and for many purposes as well as printed and framed.

Hope this helps and it is just my opinion. For what it is worth.

Thanks for your insightful answer Bobbyray! I'd like to be as good as some of the ArtRagers here with time and practice because I do believe that computer art will increase in sales due to its affordability and that traditional art (especially originals) may need to cater to mainly to the wealthy. My skills aren't good enough to turn art into a fulltime career, and my question was more towards getting an idea of how each artist values their works. I consider my works to be priceless because of my emotional attachment to them, but for the professionals, I wonder how easy it is to put a cash worthy number onto something that was created from your heart and soul? What's a fair price when only the artist knows how much he slaved away at his masterpiece while the public would prefer to pay less because it's 'just' a picture?