ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Etiquette?

M. Aster Guest

Forum Etiquette?

"When a person starts a posting on a message board, or forum, or Facebook, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread"

"Hijacking a thread is when you post a new question in an already established thread. It takes focus away from the original poster's question..."

I here quote two quick search that refers to the discussion that went on in my thread "Every Picture Tells a Story". My thread was totally taken over by members wanting to oppose to my view on tracing images (I happened to mention in that thread). My intention to find out the interest about Visual and Digital Storytelling was totally ignored. So I deleted the thread that I started.

Since this forum seems to lack "Forum Etiquette", which is quite common out there on the Internet forums. I wonder if it is necessary to have any kind of forum rules around here?
    Are hijacking threads in this forum accepted or should it be more like the forum etiquettes that I found by a quick search? I wonder

When someone says something inflammatory, even if it's in a secondary part of the thread, the people perceiving insult may take that as suddenly the point that needs addressing.

(as a USA political analogy) It's the same way with legislation being introduced as a bill to congress. Many of the proposed bills are hotly debated and even killed because while the main subject of the bill sounds fine, the layered in side issues are not acceptable. So on the surface, the main idea of the bill may be very good, it has to be seen in its entirety lest something unacceptable get slipped in.

You mentioned a group of people here at ArtRage who used the tracing feature were not creative nor worthy artists. Might you not anticipate a reaction to this?

The problem is not an English as a second language, translation issue. That's being completely oblivious to what you're saying -- assuming you didn't want to insult them and start this other discussion. We have had people from all over the world posting and the ones who were polite were polite and the ones who weren't were those kinds of personalities, and many of the offensive posters happened to have English as a first language.

So I suggest that you own what you say and learn to aim your words better.

I hope you see this post as being on topic.

By the way, you have repeatedly deleted your threads and posts, not just in that last thread. What does that say about your etiquette?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Pardon me-- I know these forums are generally very polite, and not personal at all in nature, but something needs to be said here.

I'm sorry, M. Aster/ Twagger/ Sweedie, or whoever you want to all yourself, but I can't believe you of all people have the gall to go around complaining about forum etiquette!!

You have repeatedly come into various threads, such as, for example, the "Watercolor WIPs" thread that was very active in August and September, to post what I can only call inflammatory, rude comments that basically told the rest of us we weren't really artists, that our approach was inherently flawed, and that we were wasting our time. (POSTS WHICH I NOW SEE YOU DELETED!!! FROM A THREAD YOU DID NOT START!!!). Guess what? No one appreciated it. But in the interest of attempting to be polite, I carried that conversation out with you while you derailed things for pages on end with totally unhelpful, negative comments-- you're allowed to post wherever you want, there are no rules blocking that, and you found our subject interesting enough to post in the thread. That's fine.

I even tried PMing you, to talk civilly with you in private. Did I ever get a response from you? No.

But now you want to go around complaining about our responses to your thread, deleting things because we "derailed" it?? Well get over it. Welcome to the internet!

I'm honestly sorry that your feelings have been hurt. That sucks for you. No one likes that experience. But I have to admit that you have seemed pretty cavalier about the feelings of others in all sorts of posts you have made (I'd post examples if I could find them, but you keep on deleting them!).

Perhaps you are unaware of the pattern of your postings, and how they might appear to others. I severely doubt that, but I'm not in your head, right? So who knows? But I can only tell you one thing- the response you are getting in these recent threads you've been deleting isn't coming from out of the blue, but rather is in direct relationship to your ongoing pattern of action towards others. You reap what you sow.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

I had suspected this was also Sweedie and Twaager as well, despite the Spanish insertion as misdirection. Interesting that you picked up on that as well.

I think it's that the personality has been traced from one handle to the next because they are so alike. I give him this, tracing can be bad if the original is not so hot.

He's had it in for English speakers as seen in some of the posts he made several months ago, trying to make a case that we dislike others. So he's continuing that tactic. He's clearly doing this because he has an audience somewhere. What a hero.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I really don't have time to trace older posts but has he banged on about Andrew Loomis as well? Mr D Akey I owe you a beer.

Check the art styles. I'm pretty sure it's true. Although the greater truth is that I like all his stuff, which is why it's such a shame that he makes things, imo, so difficult.

Who knows, perhaps it's me, right, and not him? So I don't want to go around sounding like I'm not looking at the mote in my own eye first, if you know what I mean. But it's very frustrating none the less, and I'm just trying to be honest.

Anyways, I don't want to utterly "derail" this thread too, though I'm sure it's soon to be deleted like the others. My point was more largely that "etiquette" goes both ways, and I've felt like M. Aster has long taken advantage of the hospitality of this forum. I know it's ironic to say this, and I'm probably giving myself a black eye even doing so, but if he's going to complain, he ought to look in the mirror first.

That's it. I've had my say.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Yeah, the art styles was the original tip off for me as well, along with the tone of his posts.

Thanks mate. I'll take that beer. One for Steve B as well.

Of course.

If you are not happy with this forum, instead of whining and complaining, why don't you just quietly go away?
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    If you are not happy with this forum, instead of whining and complaining, why don't you just quietly go away?
    Ah but he has.........several times now...............perhaps he NEEDS the attention we're giving him?

I'm not an expert on Art but I DO know people................this one needs all the help he can get!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278