ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bob Ross'ish palette knife

Bob Ross'ish palette knife

Hi everyone!

Bah, I wrote a long post, and it somehow got an error and wasn't posted, so I'll make it a bit shorter this time!
    I bought Artrage 3, and loving it completely (but I can't post links yet apparently, so can't show it ).

I'm a long time Bob Ross fan, and on my second oil-painting I tried some of his techniques. One of my favourite techniques of his was to create snow on mountains. He did this with his palette knife (I can't post links, but look for 'Bob Ross: painting Snow-covered Mountains' on youtube)

I tried doing this with Artrage with the palette knife, and tried all kind of settings, but I just get a big smudge. Is there a way I can achieve this kind of 'broken-up white snow' that he's so famous for? I tried fiddling around with the pressure, loading, thinner etc, but to no avail =(

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to painting more! =)

P.S. I did a search before, but couldn't find relevant posts, hope I didn't miss any.

Hi

I have tried may ways to create that type of effect.....I found that the chalk works well and even for broken waves of water.... if I understand you correctly, this may work better for you.

Happy Holidays
    and happy AR painting

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyray View Post
    I have tried may ways to create that type of effect.....I found that the chalk works well and even for broken waves of water.... if I understand you correctly, this may work better for you.

Happy Holidays
    and happy AR painting
    Thanks a lot!

I might have found another way!
    First I make a black mountain. Then, with a brush with 0 loading but lot's of pressure, I stipple the parts of the mountain that need snow, this makes for a very rough 3d structure.

Afterwards, I take a paletteknife with a bit of white paint, put the pressure very very low, and slide over the stippled part. This creates a bit of the bob ross effect too!

Thanks a lot for the crayon tip! I'll try that!