ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Painting "snow"?

Painting "snow"?

What should be the easiest way of painting snow in Artrage?

If you mention the kind of snow you mean it would likely get the answer you want. You talking about snow falling through the air, like little dots? Lots of different kinds and uses for snow for artists, from natural to stylized. Good hunting!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

i mean....snow on the ground...

Hi Rondo

I'm going to take a chance (I can't seem to contact him...........) and post one of Tinzo's paintings.....Brian Tinsley AKA Tinzo has been a veritable inspiration to me and I remember something he said about painting snow....he said he only ever used 3 or 4 colours for snow.....obviously one was white ...........but just look very closely at his painting........ really blow it up big......it will explain snow.

Hope this helps you
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Good one Peter! That is a great example. Tinzo's work has been inspiring to me too. Cheers!
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Think of snow as you would any other mass.

It has a shape which is defined by lights and darks. So, focus more on picking out and translating the shapes that you see (if you're using a reference), and you'll get what you are after.

Something to remember is that snow can come with a variety of colors, depending on the light that's present in the landscape.
    Right now, as I look out my window, I can see snow that would be best described as lavender (it's early evening here in New England).

If you google "snow mountains sunset" and look at the images, you can see all sorts of colors that snow reflects.
    Pinks, yellows, blues, oranges... Again, depending on the light.

You can find good video tutorials online. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pinckney View Post
    Hi Rondo

I'm going to take a chance (I can't seem to contact him...........) and post one of Tinzo's paintings.....Brian Tinsley AKA Tinzo has been a veritable inspiration to me and I remember something he said about painting snow....he said he only ever used 3 or 4 colours for snow.....obviously one was white ...........but just look very closely at his painting........ really blow it up big......it will explain snow.

Hope this helps you
    Wow...impressive painting... sure looks like real snow....

Well as you can see, (great example Peter,) it is usually painted with a combination of blues, whites and grays. Though you can also use warmer colors as in the painting below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.