ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Paint behavior affected by specs?

Paint behavior affected by specs?

My friend recently got a Wacom tablet, to which I insisted she get artrage.

Fast forward to now. I was showing her the ropes, and we were sharing screens as we both practiced with blending and painting on a tutorial I set up.
    Now, her computer is a bit of a weak, older laptop. It doesn't have much prowess..

So we were putting down some paint and setting up a sort of color string we'd use to paint the body of the object.
    Now I can't say for sure there's something wrong, but it really seems that her paint, with the brush, just isn't blending properly.
    As she put the paint down, it just didn't seem to blend at all. It sort of sat on top of the old paint, almost as if it was on a different layer, but it wasn't.. If she got out the palette knife, she could do some blending,
    but it just wasn't blending naturally as it should as you lay the paint down.. I had her do this for quite awhile, in a few different ways.

I noticed it seemed to act as if all the paint she put down was drying almost immediately, so when she put more paint on top, there was barely any blending.

We've been working with all the same settings, the exact same canvas and file.
    It just wasn't behaving like mine.

My question is this:

Do computer specs set a paint drying threshold? Perhaps a more powerful PC will leave paint dry for up to 50 - 100 actions in the program, or a certain time limit, where on a less capable, dare I say struggling PC might immediately start drying paint to conserve computational power??

Are blending factors like this tied to specs, or would the program instead bog down if it was showing signs of stress?
    Last edited by Polioliolio; 12-17-2012 at 12:48 PM.

The paint in ArtRage doesn't dry over time, so that would not be a factor. Sounds to me like she may have inadvertently turned on the "Insta-Dry" feature (see screenshot). It instantly makes the paint of the oil brush dry, so that it won't smear into itself (however the palette knife can still be used to manipulate it somewhat). So I'd check on that next time.

Name:  instadry.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  16.8 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I was watching her screen, and I'm pretty sure that was off, but next time I'll make sure of it.

Do you know if artrage handles the 'physics' of the paint differently depending on the computational power?

Thanks.

I don't know for sure, but I've never read response from the AR team mentioning anything like that, nor does the manual say anything about it, from my recollection of it. If her setting were exactly like your own, my next guess would be that the settings for the Wacom tablet were different in some way. That, or perhaps the drivers for the tablets. In which case, the pressure being applied wouldn't match, would cause a varying effect.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Computer specs don't have an effect on media properties, so it will be either a difference in settings ( what you describe would tend to be auto-dry on ) or possibly tablet pressure as Someonesane suggests.

To check the properties of a tool, if you open the settings panel, then click 'reset' and get the other user to do the same you can make absolutely sure you're using default settings and also make sure you're using the same size value down the bottom left, or choose the same preset from the presets panel and tool size.

One other thought: If you're using ArtRage Studio Pro, check what blending mode you're using. Click on the current colour at the bottom right and from the menu you can see whether 'real colour blending' is toggled on or off. Real colour blending attempts to mimic real world paint blending, so will give different results than the default.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design