ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Helen

Helen

I started out doodling and ended up 3 hours later with this. It's my first try at drawing a person, in this case, my wife. I know it's not great but I'm my own harshest critic and I'm satisfied, although I have a lot to do yet. I can't get her eyes right even though I measured them and used the original pic, (which I took so I don't consider it cheating) as a tracing, but only on her eyes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helen2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	401.6 KB 
ID:	71688

nice work and doing portraits of a loved one is especially difficult since we know their face so well..

Not too shabby! Great in fact for a first go. Portraits of people near to us are often the biggest challenge of all because of wanting to make it perfect, lest we insult them. I don't know what she looks like, but this sells me that it's probably pretty close to what you got.

As to your talking about having trouble with the eyes, glasses can sometimes get tricky owing to a certain distortion possible - magnification and changing angles on a lens and so on. So your idea to err on the side of it being natural, as without any distortion, that's not a bad way to go. Then you can do a couple tricks to make it look like glass is in the frames. Only time you would distort the eyes from glasses would be for a special effect, like with a mad scientist with coke bottle glasses or something pulp magazine illustration like that.

You're going well. My one comment would be to watch the arc on the lips. There is a little dip that goes from the center of the nose down to the crown of the lips, and that high point should be along the center line going down the face. Not everybody's is visually prominent, but if you have a high point, that would be where it would happen. And orienting that or plotting that placement keeps things lined up. Her face seems to be pulling a little to the right as it goes down. But not that bad.

You definitely will not be sleeping on the sofa. Well done you!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Please dont say "not great", I feel this one is done straight from the heart therefore its Brilliant. Well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307