ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Clouds 3

Clouds 3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winter1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	71669
    This is my third attempt at clouds. Disregarding the doodling at the bottom, are my clouds closer to right? I'm asking the people who have seen my first two tries, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winter1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	71669
    This is my third attempt at clouds. Disregarding the doodling at the bottom, are my clouds closer to right? I'm asking the people who have seen my first two tries, obviously.
    Hi, I would encourage you to make use of Artrage's layering capabilities. Start painting by making the canvas colour the bluest part of the sky. Then create several layers. Paint your clouds on a separate layer from the other objects in the painting, and that way you can later adjust/control the opacity of just the clouds. You can make multiple cloud layers. You can even go back to your canvas settings and change the colour of the background if you wish.

Another tip, and I am referring also to your previous posts of clouds, is to make them (clouds) more elongated horizontally. Artrage gives you the ability to transform a layer. So the next painting you do, select the cloud layer and stretch it horizontally, and see if they don't look more natural.

Attachment 71827

Here's a very rough sketch of how a cloud works. Blue sky layer on the first layer. I used the gradient stencil provided by AR to start light at the bottom and darken as it goes up, as all blue skies do. Clouds do not shadow onto the sky, they only shadow themselves

NEW LAYER
    I plumped in some white rounded shapes, selected the bottom and left areas with the Freeform Selection Tool and adjusted layer colours to darken. I use this trick often as you don't disturb anything you have already put in, but have a credible shadow.

Then blended with Just Blend Colour, and softened with Tiny Frost.

Have a try, it's fun. :0)