ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Cattails and wind

Cattails and wind

I was shooting for a really turbulent, stormy sky, disregard the reeds on the bottom. Something doesn't look quite right to me though. I made a point of keeping the wind and light angles and directions right. I'm open to opinions and advice regarding what I did wrong. The only thing that's obvious is that the clouds should be more billowy, or more whispy. The reeds were intentional the cattails are lousy but were a last moment addition so don't grade me on those.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cattails.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	71620

Clouds can be difficult to paint, but you did a nice job
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

I googled 'stormy clouds', see: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1280&bih=642

There are quite a few to look at and get some ideas.

I would say that your clouds maybe don't have enough 'volume' to them, i.e. the light source is from the left, so the shading is on the right, and underneath with a reasonably steady gradation. Yours sort of go light,dark, light, dark and so on.

Clouds often have a pretty level underneath, unless they're really broken up into wisps. You will see that when you go up in a plane. The clouds often have a under 'ceiling' that you break through.

Attachment 71621

When you look at this 'ceiling from a distance, perspective kicks in and you see the different (but the same) levels proceed into the distance.

I love clouds! I hope I made some sense. :0)

is it one of your first paintings? If so, then for first it is ok. Make sure you add more natural colors to make it look like real and live

Quote Originally Posted by lukehion View Post
    is it one of your first paintings? If so, then for first it is ok. Make sure you add more natural colors to make it look like real and live
    Yes, it's my first cloud experiment and my second 'painting' period. It occurs to me as I look at the reference provided above that I was looking at my clouds more from the side rather than underneath and mine have too many sharp edges in addition to what all of you have pointed out. I'll make another one this evening. I thought I'll keep drawing one thing until I'm happy with it then move to something else. My wife (and everybody else that knows me) says that I'm way to hard and demanding of myself, which I must confess is true, I'll have to get over that. I'm finding myself drawn more and more into Artrage, it's quite addictive. I can make as many mistakes as necessary and not have to buy more paint or canvases. Thanks for the input.

Pretty cool! I was driving through the midwest in a storm one time and the colors resembled this a lot. You got the feeling just right. Time will have you doing things differently down the road, but this rocks for an early go.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You really have got some atmosphere going on in this one, well done once again
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

You are having way too much fun.

Alas, you're right, I can't help myself. I've always wanted to express my thoughts and feelings but have no artistic talent and had to use words, which I'm good with. This (artrage) opens a whole new universe to me once I can learn to do things right.