ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wondering if there is a layer lock for ArtRage Studio 3

Question Wondering if there is a layer lock for ArtRage Studio 3

I do not have ArtRage Pro but I was told that if you scroll over one of the layers created, 4 boxes would appear - including one of them that should look like checker boxes in the top right corner (I think). I was told that when you select this box it would "lock" the layer so that you can only color in the areas that have been previously colored. Does ArtRage Studio 3 have this function, or is it only a Pro feature? Because only 3 boxes pop up over my layers and I have tried looking around for it on the program.

I think other terms for what I am looking for is lock layers, lock alpha (an oekaki program), and preserve opacity (SAI) on some other art programs I have used.

I tried looking for the answer on Google and on these forums but I couldn't find the answer to what I was looking for.

I would really appreciate some help! :]

Hi there,

The lock in Artrage Studio Pro is a transparency / alpha lock, and is only present in Studio Pro.

What you could do in Studio however, is right click the current layer, choose 'create stencil from layer contents' then paint and your media will be limited to the area of the pre-existing media on that layer. When you're done you can right click your stencil and choose to remove it. I hope that's of some help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi there,

The lock in Artrage Studio Pro is a transparency / alpha lock, and is only present in Studio Pro.

What you could do in Studio however, is right click the current layer, choose 'create stencil from layer contents' then paint and your media will be limited to the area of the pre-existing media on that layer. When you're done you can right click your stencil and choose to remove it. I hope that's of some help.
    Is there a way to truly "lock" a layer so that it's impossible to paint on it at all? I've made the mistake of painting on a layer that I didn't intend to even with transparency locked.

Not currently, unless the layer is hidden, in which case no media can be applied to it.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you so much!