ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Blending question

Blending question

Hi all,
    I know from reading the forums that there have been a few blending questions asked and I am sorry but I have to ask another one I have always worked in graphite and coloured pencils and when it comes to blending colours together I use a lighter pencil shade to do this, a tortillion or colourless blender. At the moment I am just playing with the pencils and crayons in AR and I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is or was a "tortillion tool" I dont think it is a preset so imagine that it has been made by one of the Ragers. At the moment for blending my colours together I am using the knife preset set to small frost/ tiny frost and that works well, but wondered if there was any other options ?
    Thank you or any help.

Quote Originally Posted by drawing4art View Post
    Hi all,
    I know from reading the forums that there have been a few blending questions asked and I am sorry but I have to ask another one I have always worked in graphite and coloured pencils and when it comes to blending colours together I use a lighter pencil shade to do this, a tortillion or colourless blender. At the moment I am just playing with the pencils and crayons in AR and I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is or was a "tortillion tool" I dont think it is a preset so imagine that it has been made by one of the Ragers. At the moment for blending my colours together I am using the knife preset set to small frost/ tiny frost and that works well, but wondered if there was any other options ?
    Thank you or any help.
    Hello. There isn't a tortillian. But the knife is unbelievably rich with settings opportunities to arrive at a near infinite variety of blending, smearing, smudging, blurring, dragging, scratching, frosting, gouging, scraping and whatever. It's worth taking a couple of hours and taking the five basic knife settings and with each experimenting with the many different settings options for each. It's kind of mind-blowing fun. You'll almost certainly find settings that suit your sensibilities and arrive at a set of presets you love.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

You can try some of the presets I've made for pencil work (see the bottom image for examples of what the effects). They can be downloaded here: Pencil Work Set. The presets are bundled in an ArtRage ArtPack, so just save the .arpack file to your computer, then double click on it. It should automatically open ArtRage, and allow you to choose which items you'd like to install (see top image, below).

Name:  pencil sketching ex intall.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  44.2 KB

Example of what they can do:
    Step 1 is the result of the "Red Sketch Edge" Sticker Spray preset, and Step 2 is how it appears after being blended with the "Pencil Blender 2" Palette Knife preset)
    Only the Presets in the package file were used to create the examples below (Well... That and the almighty Eraser tool).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil sketching examples.jpg 
Views:	1464 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	71587
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you both for your help.

Bryoncallas I shall explore the knife settings more

Someonesane Thanks for the link to your pencil pack I like the effects very much and shall use them in a pencil drawing that I am doing

Thanks for the download, it is something I was looking for also.
    Much appreciated.
    Geoff

Thanks also, I was wondering about the same thing because I use to work in colored pencil.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present