ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monoprice tablet? (AR2.5 and 4, doesn't work in OSX 10.4.11 PPC nor 10.9.5 intel

Monoprice tablet? (AR2.5 and 4, doesn't work in OSX 10.4.11 PPC nor 10.9.5 intel

Any info or advice on using ArtRage with the inexpensive-as-in-cheap Monoprice graphics tablets?

(Never used any kind, hoped for a cheap introduction to the tool)

They (all sizes) [EDIT -- used to but don't currently] ship with an ArtRage 2.5 demo, but after-sale support amounts to "not supported"
    for OSX -- I've tried PowerPC 10.4.11 ("may not work") and Intel 10.7x and 10.8x ("will not work")

I may have been had, if so I'll just give the thing to someone with an older Windows or older Mac setup.

Figured I'd ask first if anyone's successfully using ArtRage on Mac, either PowerPC 10.4.11 or Intel OSX -- with
    the Monoprice tablet.
    Last edited by ankh; 08-26-2015 at 06:40 AM. Reason: more info

We've not heard of these tablets before so it's hard to know where the problem might lie. ArtRage uses the OS X built in tablet system so support should be automatic if the tablet supports the OS.

One interesting note though: I don't believe that Monoprice have a license to distribute the ArtRage demo with their hardware so we'll be getting in touch with them to find out what's going on.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

The ArtRage demo is not currently offered with the tablet on their website. I got it several years ago, when the tablet came with a v2.5 "demo" ArtRage tool that never worked right.

I found something called "Rita" that worked somewhat better, not enough to keep fiddling with, back then.

Now I"m revisiting it to see if I can get something working.

There's a good review of the Monoprice tablet but your blog software here won't allow me to give you the link.
    Look for

frenden dot com and little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could
    Last edited by ankh; 12-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Monoprice tablets

Quote Originally Posted by ankh View Post
    There's a good review of the Monoprice tablet but your blog software here won't allow me to give you the link.
    Look for

frenden dot com and little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could
    Guys, I hate spam too, but being able to include link in a forum post is kind of essential. There are better ways to reduce spam.

Anyway, FYI, Monoprice offers a line of tablets that's are getting attention lately because they're good quality and a fraction of the price of Wacom gear.

A couple of my friends are using their tablets and are quite happy with them. I'm seriously considering ditching my Intuos for one or their tablets.

This guy "Frenden" on Tumblr has done a series of reviews of their devices and other Wacom alternatives. In particular, this post is informative and includes some video:

tmblr (dot) co (slash) ZK1YbyTV2uze ("co," not "com".)
    Last edited by insomniac; 03-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Links are enabled after a certain number of posts. Unfortunately we had to implement this in addition to the other spam protection measures we have in place.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Links are enabled after a certain number of posts

So, about the original question --- can you now that you've had time to check, offer any guidance about using your software with these tablets? I'm _delighted_ to pay for software. --- I'm not excited about testing it for you unless you agree to tell me -- --what you need to do the testing, -- --where to find the debugging files for the test, and -- --who at your site will accept the test results. -- Will it work? Or, will you help us test it? -- This is the link, which is still unacceptable: -- frenden dot tumblr dot com slash post slash 31659364200 slash the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could
    Last edited by ankh; 03-08-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: trying for line breaks

We don't have a Monoprice tablet here so we are unable to test on them internally. ArtRage works with the OS standard input system on OS X so tablets that correctly implement this should be fine, but as we don't have the tablet I can't say for sure. We're not looking for testers for this specific hardware currently so I suggest that if you have the tablet already you wait for the Demo version of ArtRage 4 to test it. If you don't have the tablet then unfortunately there's no help we can provide at this time.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

support for "UC Logic" tablets?

Meanwhile, another tablet worth a look: aitch tee tee pee colon slash slash dubyadubyadubya huion-tablet dot com slash products slash
    (have I posted enough yet to be allowed links? apparently not)
    I found that one in a comment here: youknowwhatgoes here conceptart.org/forums/wacom%99/244885-monoprice-tablet-vs-intuos-5-a.html

EDITED -- both Huion and Monoprice are said to be by "UC Logic" -- if that helps on whether they'll work with ArtRage 4.

I got that from this review: uberzilla.deviantart.com/journal/Budget-Art-Tablet-Reviews-341720907

That article/review is being updated frequently, and asks for links to other reviews as well as pointing out what works and how.

"3) Drivers and Programs: At least one freeware paint program "My Paint" did not work with the drivers supplied with the Monoprice. Downloading drivers from UC Logic fixed that. Huion posts drivers on their site - so if you lost your disk, or are looking to see if there is an update - go there.
    I use an older version of Photo Elements, and Art Rage for painting. I have encountered no issues with these (with either tablet)....."

------

So, er, ArtRage -- would you take contributions toward buying one of these $30-40 tablets based on UC Logic?
    I'd chip in.
    Last edited by ankh; 03-16-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add UC Logic

And by the way, just because you haven't heard of [tablet that's a different brand from other more well-known tablet] doesn't mean it's irrelevant. I know several people who use their gear among my friends and I read about them all the time on [popular art forum] and [other popular art forum].

I saved the post I wrote that got blocked, so if you'd like some practical info that may be of use to other of your customers, change my permissions and I'll be happy to post it.

ankh & insomniac - We've upgraded both of your accounts so you can post any helpful links.

Regarding tablets for testing - We're not planning on testing on these tablets at this time. However, we're just finalising the ArtRage 4 demo so if you know people who have the tablet they can try it with them.

On OS X in particular there's nothing we can really do to change tablet support if a device has problems. The OS provides one standard internal interface for high resolution tablet input data and we support that - Any problems are likely to come from drivers for the specific device and in trying to code around those we would only be risking problems for tablets that follow that standard. It's an unfortunate fact of supporting external hardware that trying to code around issues on one device tends to cause problems with others so we prefer to focus support on the standard OS model.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.