ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Exporting with Transparency/Pen Sensitivity, Undo, and Layer Shifting Trouble

Exporting with Transparency/Pen Sensitivity, Undo, and Layer Shifting Trouble

I've been using ArtRage for a long time and use ArtRage Studio for most of my work (on OS X 10.6.8). However, recently I've been playing with transparency and find myself unable to upload images with transparent backgrounds to sites like DeviantArt. I'll have an image on one layer, per-say, and on the layer beneath set the opacity to 0%, but when i export (as a .PNG) and post it, it doesn't appear as transparent. I don't want to have to purchase photoshop just to create transparent backgrounds. Help?

--

Furthermore, I've been having trouble with the pen sensitivity when selecting the size of the tool. I'm able to control the size by sliding only sporadically, while tapping it and typing a size works fine. All the other functions (selecting tools, drawing itself, choosing colors, etc.) have also been working fine. Also, when trying to undo using a keyboard shortcut, it often fails to do so, and ArtRage crashes. The same thing happens when i try to drag a layer beneath another using the layer box. I deleted the program and re-downloaded, but no change. Help with that too?

Thanks

Onyxx
    Last edited by Onyxx; 12-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Artrage has a built in canvas, so you'd need to make sure you've set that to 0% opacity. Go to View -> Canvas settings and move the opacity dial to 0% before exporting in order to have a transparent background.

If you're dragging left and right on the tool preview with your stylus, unless ArtRage is receiving bad data from your tablet, you should be able to reliably resize the tool ( this is essentially the same as painting a line ). You can also hold down shift and drag left and right on the canvas to resize tools. If you're using a tablet, make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your tablet. Check whether it still happens when using your mouse, and let us know what make and model of tablet you're using.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

That looks like that solves the transparency problem! Thanks much.

I didn't know about the holding shift and dragging to select a size, that is very helpful. Selecting a size seems to work perfectly with my mouse, so it must be my tablet. I've been needing to buy new nibs for the pen, so that might be the problem. I use a Cybertablet 12000. Also, I'm still having trouble with the undo using a keyboard shortcut or even the button on the canvas, or in the edit toolbar. It crashes every time I try to undo, bringing up a "Problem Report for ArtRage Studio" window, stating that it quit unexpectedly, accompanied by a jumble of details about the crash.

Ah, this is interesting.
    Whilst I've not had all of the problems Onyxx lists I have found that at random times the 'Undo' dose stop working, (keyboard or menu command) So far though I've not been able to narrow it down to a set of specific steps that cause it.
    I too am on a Mac OS10.6.8 + 8GB RAM. I have to say it doesn't happen a lot and AR doesn't crash on me but still, very irritating when it dose happen
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

@Markw - That sounds like a different problem. Undo will be greyed out if there is no available undo data if that's what you're seeing. This will normally happen if you get to the beginning of the undo stack for that session, open a document ( no undo exists at that time ) etc, but it sounds like it's happening differently for you. Undo is disk based so it may be worthwhile running a full permissions check and repair via the OS X disk utility just in case permissions are an issue. Free space could be a problem but this is pretty unlikely, you'd have to have fairly low available space for that to cause it. if that doesn't help there may be a specific set of actions that we're not aware of which is causing an undo problem. If you see it again, please feel free to email me at support@artrage.com with as much info as you can recall, it's always good to have.

@Onyxx - Could you email me at support@artrage.com with a copy of that crash report? That's not something I've seen before but the information in the crash report may give us some information on what's causing it. Also, let me know whether you updated your tablet drivers or not when you emailed me. I have seen strange crashes before that came down to problems with tablet drivers with other brands of tablets which were solved by updating.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the info and suggestions DaveRage. As I say it doesn't happen a lot so I will see how it goes over the next week before emailing support and try and note what I was doing at the time.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)