ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tablet: Small or medium? Advice welcome!

Question Tablet: Small or medium? Advice welcome!

It has been an eye-opening few days, lurking here at the forum . This is a great place to hang out! I've learned tons already and been inspired to have a go.

I have been looking at Bamboo Fun tablets, for myself and friend. We work together on projects and would get one each and are wondering which would be best.
    We are both beginners in digital art, though I have had some experience in Photoshop and my friend has been working with watercolour.

We are prepared to buy two medium tablets, but want to get what is right. Would those of you with experience of tablets kindly say what you think?
    a) For her watercolour and illustration work, should my friend get the medium tablet? She explained to me that she likes to sweep her forearm when she draws and paints, not scribble with little wrist movements!

b) For Photoshop work, etc, would I benefit from the medium tablet, or would that be overkill? Would a smaller one be better? Money is not the issue here, just practicability! Though I may not be a drawer or artist as such, I can see me having a lot of fun playing with Artrage! So I would get the larger tablet if you all thought it would be of benefit.

We already have Artrage for iPad, which has given us a taster and will be perfect for work on the go. But for the PCs, the Studio version looks ideal. And I see that Studio Pro is bundled with the medium tablet. The smaller one is bundled with only the Studio version of Artrage. I have had a fiddle with the program on iPad and love it.

I look forward to getting your advice as we don't want to either waste money, or find a few weeks down the line that we wish we had spent more and got the larger tablet with the upgraded Artrage program.

BTW - I hope this is the right section for this post. Admin, please move this post if there is a better forum for it. Thanks in advance, everyone.

It's surprising how your mind adapts to smaller. I am a long time 'hard copy' artist, working on large canvases as well as small watercolours, etc. I now work on a Wacom Intuos4. I can be so engrossed in the process, I sometimes come up for air and think it's 'just like painting'. Intuos 4 working area is 7" X 4.1/4".

I must say, I have just ordered a Dell 27" Touchscreen All-in One, and am waiting impatiently for it to arrive! Working on a small space does tighten you up a bit, and I'm really looking forward to having all that room to splash around.

I also have a HP Touchscreen 12.1 Notepad that converts in to a tablet, and that's heaps of fun, and different again.

Touchscreens will not give the control of a Pen Tablet for finer work ... everything seems a bit looser... to me anyway. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by grayflo View Post
    a) For her watercolour and illustration work, should my friend get the medium tablet? She explained to me that she likes to sweep her forearm when she draws and paints, not scribble with little wrist movements!
    In this case probably the medium is preferable. For photo retouching probably a small one is sufficient.
    At present I have an Intous 4 Small, and find it quite adequate for my needs, mainly with AR and Zbrush. I use it in combination with a 27" monitor.

I use an Intuos5 medium tablet with working area of 8.8" x 5.5 " and I find it perfect for me.
    Geoff

Intuos4 Medium here and wouldn't be without it
    Don't think AR comes as a software bundle option though with the Intuos tablets (I might be wrong), so you might have to buy ARPro separately if you went with an Intuos.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you to all you guys who have responded. All your comments have been very helpful indeed. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I would recommend the medium one for sure. The small one is a bit too confining and the largest one is a bit cumbersome IMHO. Of course saying all that I have to say I am ruined for any of the tablets now because I work on a Cintiq 24 HD at the studio. I can't afford one for home and I really find it frustrating to try to do any work at home now. So- fair warning! Be careful spending any time with a Cintiq if you aren't in a position to buy one.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Thumbs up

Update: Medium tablets are on their way! Can't wait to get set up and started! They should arrive tomorrow or next day.

Congratulations!
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Thanks Fashmir. The encouragement on this thread was a great help.