ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: the recent update - some difficulties

the recent update - some difficulties

Hi,

I haven't been working with ArtRage long but really like it for the expressiveness of the paints - depth, shine and so on. However, since the recent update I am having some problems. The page doesn't rotate, for one thing, although I have rebooted as suggested in another post. I prefer to work in landscape mode if possible. The paint and colour pickers I find slow to respond, especially the brushes when using the cogwheel - touch the cogwheel, nothing happens, go back, get impatient and it pops up the menu just as I touch it again, so it closes it! I also found that I had to save the picture many times in order to see clearly where I had not painted right to the edges. I can't see the edges because of all the menus that I cannot close - most notably the bar along the bottom. I can't see how it is possible to paint in the corners with any accuracy. In trying to expand or shrink the painting the two-finger mode seems a bit tricky - I almost always have to remove thumbprints with the undo - but if enlarging then I can't see the marks left in the wet paint in some other area - it's a bit like painting in the dark.

I like ArtRage very much, although I am trying out a number of apps. None of them are entirely satisfactory somehow though I get best effects with something simple like Zen Brush. Having too many menus to open and close and not being able to clear them away from the painting in hand - and get them back quickly when needed - is something I struggle with.

I also tried to save the picture in ArtRage format today and sent it off to my computer but of course I couldn't open it. I thought there would be a player, like Brushes has. Yes, I thought about buying ArtRage for the iMac (older one running Snow Lion) but then you need a tablet and a stylus - and isn't that what the iPad was for?!!

Have you any suggestions how I might make the rhythm of painting flow a bit more?

Thanks

The problem with interface rotation is a bug in the current version. We've solved it and uploaded a new version to Apple but it might take them a few days to approve it for the store. When the new update comes out, download it and that should resolve that problem!

Regarding the painting format - The easiest way to share images with another machine that isn't using ArtRage is to export as PNG or JPEG from the Export menu in the Gallery, that converts the painting format to a common image file. ArtRage paintings contain a lot of information most packages don't understand such as how much paint is on the canvas and how wet it is, so exporting strips that data out for other apps to be able to read the image.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The problem with interface rotation is a bug in the current version. We've solved it and uploaded a new version to Apple but it might take them a few days to approve it for the store. When the new update comes out, download it and that should resolve that problem!

Regarding the painting format - The easiest way to share images with another machine that isn't using ArtRage is to export as PNG or JPEG from the Export menu in the Gallery, that converts the painting format to a common image file. ArtRage paintings contain a lot of information most packages don't understand such as how much paint is on the canvas and how wet it is, so exporting strips that data out for other apps to be able to read the image.
    Thanks, I look forward to the update. I did know about exporting a PNG and JPEG but was interested in getting the highest resolution onto my computer. I have just bought Air Display for the iPad, just hoping it will let me work on the iPad and produce art on the computer! Then it might be worth having ArtRage Studio. What do you think? Can one do that?

I notice you didn't reply to my point about the awkwardness with the brush picker. Am I the only person having problems with it? Is there something about working in the bottom left corner of the screen - ie the iPad cover is somehow affecting the way my fingers interact with the screen when trying to open the brushes menu?

Best wishes

Sorry for missing the brush picker item! If you're having difficulties painting on any part of the screen I'd suggest shifting the canvas using two finger drag so that the area you're focusing on is in an easier to get to location. The menu bar at the bottom of the screen can be dismissed with a three finger tap if you want to increase space available there.

The speed of the brush menu, colour picker etc. is something we will be addressing in an update - The increased pixel density of the Retina display meant that the pickers were doing more work to initialise themselves and we've got some solutions in the pipeline.

I don't know how Air Display would work with the desktop version of ArtRage - I can't imagine it would be a problem if all it does is turn the iPad in to a second monitor, but I don't know what kind of speed you could expect from the display itself and whether that would make it hard to paint with. If you download the ArtRage demo from http://www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html you can give it a go.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks again and for being on top of these problems. I will report back on how Air Display works.

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by cisnehasahu View Post
    These problems can be solved by the developers.
    Yes, I hope so. Possibly the most annoying thing was the way the menu for brushes kept popping in and out so I couldn't access it easily. I haven't seen any comment about that yet, either. It wasn't a problem before the last update.

1.4.7 is out and should be available for updates, this should resolve the rotation issue.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.