ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt with oil

First attempt with oil

I thought it was time to try oil, something I know little about, hope it is ok.
    Geoff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballet2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	71468  
    Last edited by limey-g; 12-01-2012 at 10:35 AM.

I like it Geoff.

Her intensity on tying the bow, her complete unawareness of us (the male gaze!) and the delicate colours of her tutu against the deep blue background is quite striking.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Pretty good first go here, Limey-G!

You have the information there where it belongs. Now when you next consider the information, you can look at it perhaps as to how things are differentiated, and how much that's important to the overall effect you're after.

An analogy would be if you were an aspiring musician with a certain amount of technical understanding, and you learned a piece of music for a recital. It's all very new at first and you are first getting the notes right. Some people are happy with that. But at some point, when you see that the notes are handled, you then start bringing yourself to it, with your interpretation. And that point can be anywhere along a wide range from photographically true all the way to hardly being able to connect the interpretation to the original. So there's a good, broad range there from which to choose.

A good next step might be to pop some details perhaps, like for instance with the ribbons on her shoe could be brought out a little here and there. Another idea would be to imagine a lighting source that's not there in the photo perhaps, but you choose to draw emphasis to it with a little extra lighting and intensity. Right now it's knocked back pretty low key, which co-incidentally is a great ground upon which to add saturation and light to -- modestly, seeing as this is fairly soft overall and a little bit goes a long way.

You have the notes more or less in place. Now it's a matter of what you want to show off -- ie. what tells her 'story'. You could pull a little forward in her face, you could cast some light falling on her feet, as if she's catching a little stage lighting while in the wings.

Anyway, it's accurate info you got. The paintbrush stuff looks pretty even. In photography one can do soft focus tricks. I think it would be challenging in a painting because it would not work well with paint strokes too much. But, on the other hand, the artist can use that idea and have lost and found edges, introduce accent colors and colored rim lighting and push it in that direction that painting over photography does so well. Same idea, different instrument, to keep with the analogy.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by hypotaxis View Post
    I like it Geoff.

Her intensity on tying the bow, her complete unawareness of us (the male gaze!) and the delicate colours of her tutu against the deep blue background is quite striking.

Brett
    Thanks Brett when one goes outside ones comfort zone with a new tool as in this case it is always a challenge at first. Thanks for your kind words.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Pretty good first go here, Limey-G!

You have the information there where it belongs. Now when you next consider the information, you can look at it perhaps as to how things are differentiated, and how much that's important to the overall effect you're after.

An analogy would be if you were an aspiring musician with a certain amount of technical understanding, and you learned a piece of music for a recital. It's all very new at first and you are first getting the notes right. Some people are happy with that. But at some point, when you see that the notes are handled, you then start bringing yourself to it, with your interpretation. And that point can be anywhere along a wide range from photographically true all the way to hardly being able to connect the interpretation to the original. So there's a good, broad range there from which to choose.

A good next step might be to pop some details perhaps, like for instance with the ribbons on her shoe could be brought out a little here and there. Another idea would be to imagine a lighting source that's not there in the photo perhaps, but you choose to draw emphasis to it with a little extra lighting and intensity. Right now it's knocked back pretty low key, which co-incidentally is a great ground upon which to add saturation and light to -- modestly, seeing as this is fairly soft overall and a little bit goes a long way.

You have the notes more or less in place. Now it's a matter of what you want to show off -- ie. what tells her 'story'. You could pull a little forward in her face, you could cast some light falling on her feet, as if she's catching a little stage lighting while in the wings.

Anyway, it's accurate info you got. The paintbrush stuff looks pretty even. In photography one can do soft focus tricks. I think it would be challenging in a painting because it would not work well with paint strokes too much. But, on the other hand, the artist can use that idea and have lost and found edges, introduce accent colors and colored rim lighting and push it in that direction that painting over photography does so well. Same idea, different instrument, to keep with the analogy.
    Thanks I always appreciate your view on anything that I do, I look on you as the voice of experience.
    In this case I was trying to create the effect of the dancer being bathed in a blue soft spotlight coming in from upper right thus eliminating many of the shadows that one would normally experience in a situation like this.
    thanks again
    Geoff

Wonderful first go with that oil brush. Love the light.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Lovely contrast and soft light
    Is it the first attemp with oil? Go, go ahead
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Thanks Byron & Silvy, I have never used oil before, my normal fav tool is chalk on a smooth canvas especially when i want to blend skin with the knife.
    I will have to attempt more in the future.
    Regards Geoff

Very nicely done

I was surprised to find out that you were not doing all those fine things in oil. Now I will have to try the pastels and see what I can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Anne View Post
    I was surprised to find out that you were not doing all those fine things in oil. Now I will have to try the pastels and see what I can do!
    Thanks Marilyn for your kind words.
    Geoff