ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ligeti

Ligeti

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	71447

I fine, almost metaphysical image. I like this painting!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thank you, Caesar -

A little story about the music.

Kubrick didn't pay for ligeti's work, but simply just used it in his movie 2001, and he wouldn't pay even after ligeti wrote him, and demanded him to pay. It was settled at last, but it shows how little respect people have for music, even though it is the most used work of art in every day life.

People will gladly pay 5 dollars for a cop of coffee at a coffeshop, which is gone after you have enjoyed it, but a piece of music people won't pay a dollar for, even though you have that piece for the rest of your life.

And shame on Kubrick - but as Ligeti said, it is still a fantastic movie - and that is class to admire a mans work even though he showed no respect the other way.
    Last edited by Frisch; 11-30-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Nice music to go with your painting. It has a feeling of light as does your painting. Makes your image shimmer.

Interesting that you mention Kubrik's 2001. I hadn't read your comment before listening and looking at your painting. But I definitely got that 2001 vibe.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Dear Frisch, if You're talking of copyrights, registered marks etc. the topic is quite complex in my view.
    I understand what You say and I'm with Ligeti, especially for his right to be ackowledged, but also to share to a business he contributed to.
    In very general terms, what anyone has the legitimate right to ask though much depends, in my view, on how much professionality, innovation, genius was put in an outcome. It's quite absurd, for instance, in principle, that someone may live on one piece once on top of a pop music hit parade for some time. It's even more absurd to claim rights on words of a dictionary of a language used since ever by a nation etc. where there's no invention at all.
    I think You have to be paid for Your inventions by who makes money out of it and an exclusivity and has to pay You a royalty or so (for a defined number of years of exclusivity which shouldn't survive a lifespan, not an endless money source of generations of successors of the author). I don't think this right has to be applied to who makes personal use of whatever he may find and like though.
    When You pay a cup of coffee, You ultimately pay for all the costs of the coffee production value chain, the washing etc. up to the service plus a profit to who makes it available to You commercially (although we should come back also to share what we have for free, to be socially responsible and avoid reducing everything to business relationship).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!