ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Comic work in artrage question.

Comic work in artrage question.

Hi Folks,

Been using artrage for around a year now. Mainly for single illustration work.

I wanted to know if there was a fast way to draw boxes for comic work. I've noticed the rulers but wondered if there was an other way to get those boxes drawn quick and straight?

Thanks for your time.

Which version of ArtRage you're using?

You may have already seen this if you've been using rulers, but if you open up Stencils, then select 'Shapes' there's a 'square' stencil. If you add this to your canvas, then right click it, you can set it to ruler mode. If you're using ArtRage Studio or Studio Pro you can then select the transform tool to stretch the square into a longer rectangle if you need a different shape. I'd also recommend right clicking the stencil and inverting it, as this will make it easier to draw along the edges on the internal square.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Excellent. Thank you very much for this.

I'm using Pro version. 3.5.5

Will go and try it now.

I've posted a method I use, in this thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ighlight=Comic.

It's about half way down the page, but you may want to just read through the entire thread, because you may find some other useful presets, stencils, stickers, and information.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 11-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

One additional tip for drawing along rulers. If you draw on the actual ruler itself, the line will move along the edge without you needing to be more precise.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the tips guys.

I will also have a good read through the thread you posted Someonesane.

I really want to use Artrage for comics because I find the pen for inking, in Artrage the best I've come across in any app. The whole feel of the program is just great. I have painter but never use it. I could never click with it.

I use the stencil method, but I created a custom stencil just for this. If you add it to your stencils and then use the transformation tool to set it to whatever size or shape you want, you just need to use the fill tool and click inside the open area to instantly create the panel you want. Go ahead and save the image below and either place it inside your stencil folder, or open it from within Artrage itself. Aside from using transform to stretch it into the wanted panel shape, the only other thing you need to do is use the bucket fill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel 1.PNG 
Views:	286 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	71442

Thank you very much for this Watchdog. I will add this to the stencils and use it for the boards. Now I can use Artrage fully for comics

Going to have a good look at it all tomorrow and also read the thread linked by Someonesane.