ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My first drawing, is it ok or hideos?

My first drawing, is it ok or hideos?

Name:  apple2.png
Views: 737
Size:  126.7 KB
    Ok, this is my very first drawing. It's not a tracing but keep in mind I've never had a drawing lesson. I know the drawing itself is crappy but it was mainly an exercise in lighting and shadow and getting used to artrage. I did have a reference image, I guess that's cheating but I'd rather be honest about it. Did I get my lighting right or is it a disaster? And I won't learn if people tell me what they think I want to hear, I just ask that you all keep in mind this is my very first drawing attempt.
    Last edited by Gms9810; 11-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.

No one is here to pull your hard work apart. It's great for a first effort. My first Art Rage painting was an apple too!

Try putting a real apple on a table in front of you and drawing that..... looking at the way the light falls on it, where the highlights are, and the way the shadow falls on the table underneath to give it weight. Also, see how the stripes of an apple run in line from the stalk down to the base. They don't clash into each other.

Will look forward to your next effort! :0)

This may sound weird but: you looked at the apple and saw, that's the most important thing!
    Looks perfectly fine. What I mean with "look and see" is that you obviously
    observed and drew what you saw, not a "symbol". Ergo you can do anything after that

Check out the following for more fun:
    http://www.drawright.com/ Betty Edwards books are awesome and should be requiered reading... for everyone
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ Brilliant site with a lot of free tutorials. Though they are done in photoshop there's a lot of general "drawing" lessons.
    http://www.fivepencilmethod.com/ Darrel has some free videos. It's geared towards pencil drawings but a lot of it is about proportions, looking, seeing etc.
    http://www.thecardermethod.com/ More about oil painting IRL but fun and rewarding.

Well, there's tons of stuff out there. Don't pay for it though, until you find something you really like, the free stuff is enough
    to entertain for years
    But Bettys book I'd recommend any day.

Oh, and another thing, very important! Reference images are NOT cheating, it's the whole point
    Very few can draw a lifelike drawing, or paint a painting for that matter, without references and those that do
    started out from references long time ago. Professionals always have references, be it pictures, stills, random images they
    think have nice colours etc. I enjoy sketching out concepts and the occasional book front page
    and I ALWAYS start with a heap of reference pictures. Light is darn difficult - you need something to take cues from.
    Being able to draw/paint is not a "gift" it's 80% hard work and 20% staring at stuff.
    Some people stumble on the process early on and keep it for life, the rest of us have to put in serious work to get there
    but it's possible, no magic involved

However... if you wan't to get better at drawing from mind alone I can recommend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjMvttRETaY
    Riven Phoenix shows the basics for building up the human body inside out, basically old-school but with some twists.
    Again, don't buy anything before you are sure it's what you are after.

Good luck and happy drawing and painting!

//Daniel
    Last edited by MagnaCrea; 11-27-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Apples

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    No one is here to pull your hard work apart. It's great for a first effort. My first Art Rage painting was an apple too!

Try putting a real apple on a table in front of you and drawing that..... looking at the way the light falls on it, where the highlights are, and the way the shadow falls on the table underneath to give it weight. Also, see how the stripes of an apple run in line from the stalk down to the base. They don't clash into each other.

Will look forward to your next effort! :0)
    I just used a picture of one because I didn't have a real one. I tried to get the directions and flows right, down to the little yellow streaks.

Looks like an apple to me and a yummy one at that. I'd say you are off to good start. And welcome to Artrage!
    Last edited by Shibui; 11-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    ... I did have a reference image, I guess that's cheating but I'd rather be honest about it...
    I sincerely hope to convince you that using reference is not cheating. I have been using reference all my life and continue to do so in my professional career. In fact I would say that in many cases it would be foolish to proceed without reference. I often need to quickly define what a client is looking for in a composition. Trying to create it all from my imagination would be time consuming and lack accuracy. I feel strongly that when you are beginning learn the basic principles of creating artwork, a solid reference for observation is essential.

I have to say that your honesty is welcome and quite a nice way to step into the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    Did I get my lighting right or is it a disaster?
    I certainly would not call it a disaster. As you've already pointed out it is a beginning. The thing that I would suggest about the lighting is to, as has been mentioned, either draw an object that is right in front of you or select a reference image that includes information about the environment. This way you can see the way the light source affects the main object and the surroundings. I find it beneficial when teaching lighting to students, to have each of them in control of an adjustable table lamp so they can light their subject and observe the way light shines directly on the object and how it bounces off the table surface, lighting the object in other ways. To really express a sense of light it is so beneficial to put the object into an environment in your drawing. This gives you a chance to cast a shadow on whatever surface it is sitting on, and perhaps other objects in the scene.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Your apple is ok, considering that -like I- you never had drawing lessons in the past. Keep it up!

I'm no pro and you've gotten some good suggestions but for me...I think you did a GOOD job!

I'd like to be able to draw/paint that well soon.

no first drawing is hideous. Actually this is quite good for a first attempt. This looks almost like you have drawn it in colored pencil and then then tried to blend it with a colorless blender. You seem to have an eye for the shape---pay attention to light and how it hits the subject and look for subtle changes that occur when light strikes the apple.

Nice work!

It looks like you're getting a good handle on highlights and shadows. I think that's one of (if not the most) important parts of drawing and painting. I'm still learning...