ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First post, WiP, a panda and hello from Sweden.

Thumbs up First post, WiP, a panda and hello from Sweden.

Good evening, i'm "Panzerstarter" from Sweden and i would like to briefly introduce myself.

I'm a calm guy from the southern parts of Sweden that recently found out about drawing boards (or tablets) and
    luckily ended up here.

I must admit that i am very pleasantly surprised by this whole thing that makes it possible to create such realistic
    artworks that it to me is impossible to tell if a painting is made in real life or in ArtRage. Truly amazing piece of software.

Anyways, a few months back i was doing all kinds of "designing stuff" in this console game called Forza Motorsport 4 and
    one night i was fiddling around with the theme for the movie 'Iron Sky' (if you haven't seen it i strongly recommend it since
    it is extremely hilarious) and to my own amazement the shapes and stuff i was trying to create a soldier helmet with
    actually started to look like one and the 3D effects became more and more clear so i continued the whole night thru
    until early morning, very pleased with the results.

Now, prior to me experimenting in that pretty advanced graphics editor (it sure is, especially when one has to operate the
    whole creative process with an Xbox360 controller) there is actually no personal history of me doing anything else than
    sticky men, perhaps some logos, less than satisfied results with comic strips and so on, where most of this was in my
    school days.

That alone has made me think, perhaps i took some wrong turns in life? Perhaps it's better late than never? Haha.
    Well, i hope the reader of this post understands my excitement for this new hobby when one fully aware of his 'sticky-men-
    skill-level' bought a Wacom Intuous5 (it was pure gambling and i was desperate for a new hobby ) and out comes something
    that actually is made in colour and make sense of some sort.

I guess i have to round this up here but i'm sharing the same mood all those little kids feel when they see that tannenbaum
    on christmas time so it is pretty hard to covering it up haha, i'll do a try though..

*hrmphh* ehm, this isn't my first paint but almost. I used mostly oil colour with the knife and this is what came out after
    something around 25m.

Haha, nah this particular painting isn't even finished and it has taken me roughly 30h so far.
    Hope you guys like it and if you feel that you have some sweet tips that can improve my search
    for skills please feel free to share them with me, i'm like a sponge here.

Kind regards from me to you in this first post.

PS. the painting is attached as a file, not sure how this forum works yet DS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panda III.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	71395

Edit: now it works
    Last edited by Panzerstarter; 11-28-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: attachment

Hi there, I was waiting to see your picture here, but it's nowhere to be seen. You need to go Edit Post> down to Manage Attachments, and follow your nose from there. It's pretty easy.

P.S. Your Panda looks terrific in your Gallery. You've certainly got lots of talent! :0)
    Last edited by copespeak; 11-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Hi there, I was waiting to see your picture here, but it's nowhere to be seen. You need to go Edit Post> down to Manage Attachments, and follow your nose from there. It's pretty easy.

P.S. Your Panda looks terrific in your Gallery. You've certainly got lots of talent! :0)
    I did what you suggested and i guess i must have missed something last night thanks for the tip.

Thanks alot man, means alot.

Nicely done, really like the fur effect plus the vibrant colour.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by limey-g View Post
    Nicely done, really like the fur effect plus the vibrant colour.
    Geoff
    Makes me glad to hear that, thanks alot.

I must take the opportunity to ask, what is the best resolution when creating art in general?
    I mean the optimal resolutions for whatever size the painting is. Is there a rule of thumb or
    should one pick as high resolution as possible?

Last night i tried to create a canvas with the size of 120cm x 60cm (if i remember it correctly)
    with a resolution of 300 but it immediately gave me some problems because my computer started
    to lag enormously. To put it mildly, the pen wasn't exactly synced with the screen .

Perhaps that was too big for my computer?
    Could really do with some insight regarding this matter from someone with more expierence.

120cm X 60cm and 300dpi is pretty big and will slow down your computer. That's a big painting!

Pick a size you might want to print to, go to Resize Painting> Print Size, and then put in your 300dpi down the bottom. Try that, and if you want bigger, do something else a bit larger, and again until your lag gets too much to bear. That's where you might stop.

Welcome, enjoyed your introduction and you are off to a grand start . He or she is so cuddly!

Awesome painting

Welcome and very nice paint. For me this is a hobby too, but now I'm feeling it can be a work. The secret is practice a lot and work hard to improve every day. I am practicing with the cheapest one and less capacity of Wacom tablet, all my paints are made by Bamboo pen (53€), I want mean that the tool are important, but isn't the most. You must working, I'll see your future paints. Cheers!!

- It is the
    emotion that brings us closer to the reality, which is infinite and diverse. Antonio López García
    - What would life be if we did not have the courage to try something new? Vicent Van Gogh
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mochuelin View Post
    Welcome and very nice paint. For me this is a hobby too, but now I'm feeling it can be a work. The secret is practice a lot and work hard to improve every day. I am practicing with the cheapest one and less capacity of Wacom tablet, all my paints are made by Bamboo pen (53€), I want mean that the tool are important, but isn't the most. You must working, I'll see your future paints. Cheers!!
    Yeah, i think i understand and i do think i'm correct if i say that you will agree that this hobby of ours is extremely addictive?

I'm hooked like a madman, most of the time i spend around 12 hours a day (at least) and still i want more. I do have the ability to not see my own paintings positive side (i guess i have a habit of underestimating them) but the people around me tend to do that job for me and through them i do have to say that the time spent was time well spent since progress is made and made quickly (apparently ).

I'm heading over to see your paints now, cool that you are using a Bamboo Pen, just got three of them in the mail (late christmas gifts) and i did try one of them today. Not that i'm a tablet-expert but they sure seem to be almost as awesome as the Intous5 and that's really nice.

The tools seems to be very important i agree, it's interesting to see which ones one is most comfortable with, ones personal choice. What are yours? I must admit that i really dig the oil brush.

Again, thanks for the positive reaction and response from the forum people, before i had doubts about internet and internet people, this forum proved me wrong and i'm glad it did.
    Lovely community with as far as i've seen only warm nice people.

Makes one glad .