ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all,

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I must say from the start that I have the artistic ability of a cabbage but I'd like to learn to draw at least simple things. I do have some understanding of light, shadows, perspective, and some color theory so I hope that will help me. I Bought Artrage Studio Pro 3.5 and have been doodling a lot. The last art lesson I had was in 3rd grade and I'm 56 now, so it's been a while. I have other software that I use, such as Mypaint, Gimp, and Xara designer 7. I'm retired and can't afford things like Photoshop and the like. I had Corel Painter but didn't like it.
    I've seen a lot of forums that are populated by professionals and they just won't let you in. They'll answer questions but never quite let you be part of the group. I've read a lot of posts by new folks here and the responses all seem to be sincerely friendly so I decided to give this one a try. So I guess I'm to the point of introduction.
    My name is George, I'm 56, in Missouri. I have 3 grown kids and 3 growing grand kids. I'm retired, for medical reasons. We have 3 worthless dogs, all rescues. I have 2 doves, and two eggs so I hope to have more doves in a few days. I also have an African Grey parrot that won't shut up, 10 ferrets, and my favorite pets of all, my domestic rats, 25 of them.
    I don't have enough artistic skill to contribute yet but I'll be reading a lot. I'm a member of several forums but only 1 that I feel at home and check it several times a day. I plan to check this one a lot to and hopefully fit in and make some friends.

Hi George, and welcome. You will love belonging to this forum, as there are a lot of friendly people, some really terrific artists, heaps of technical knowledge and tips to share around. I have found that a question rarely goes unanswered, or work commented on within 24 hours. So get in and enjoy the experience! :0)
    Last edited by copespeak; 11-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Welcome George, you will find this is the most friendly of forums where you will find a bunch of folks willing to share their knowledge with you.
    There are members here from beginners to some really good artists who will show you just what artrage is capable of.
    So do not be scared, plenty of tips and tricks and tutorials on the forum so jump right in you will be surprised how you will come along.
    Geoff

My first question....

Thanks for the quick responses. So my first question is how do I get started? What would be the first lesson for someone wanting to draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses. So my first question is how do I get started? What would be the first lesson for someone wanting to draw?
    Welcome to the ArtRage Forums George. What style of art are you looking to try?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi George,
    welcome to the forum.
    As others said, this is a place with users of all levels, from absolute beginners to professionals, and the atmosphere is always warm and collaborative.
    I don't know what kind of art you prefer, but if, for example, you would like to draw some of your little pets, I absolute recommend the tutorials by Marshall Vandruff. I consider him a true master of animal anatomy. You can find some of them in a special issue of Imagine FX:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Paint...dp/1565237161/

what kind am I interested in...

Honestly, I hadn't considered that, I guess I was looking for a little of everything. I guess if I had to pick a subject it would be plants and animals. I don't have much interest in drawing people but I really like the fantasy art with wizards and dragons etc but I'm not deceiving myself. I'll never be good enough to do that.

Welcome George. Pull up a chair grab your beverage of choice and dig in to ArtRage. This is a very good place to be for someone interested in delving into artistic endeavor. There are many wonderful and caring kind people here at varying stages of learning. The tips and tricks section is full of great information and there are many videos posted on youtube that you can look at for learning basics or advanced techniques. I particularly recommend the video tutorials of Someone Sane and Steve B.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    ...I'm not deceiving myself. I'll never be good enough to do that.
    Write that last sentence on a piece of paper. Not just a piece of notebook paper, a really nice piece of paper. Use your best handwriting with ink. Add some splashes of color here and there, perhaps with some watercolor thinned with plenty of water. Let it dry. Fold it neatly. Put it into a sacred place, perhaps a small wooden box with beautiful carvings on it, perhaps in a ziplock bag under a stone out doors. You will know the place. Now walk away from it and leave it there and just play in ArtRage. No expectations, no pressure no harshness of self judgement. Let the days pass in this way. Post pictures, ask questions, practice new ideas, share and get feedback. Let this happen until on a certain day (you will know the day) you will go and get your paper. Unfold it, look at it, and laugh. Then burn it.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Wonderful Fashmir! I need to show that to lots of people........ :0)