ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Global Color Samples

Question Global Color Samples

So, I am working on a multi part project for a customer where some colors will apply across all pieces. I thought that the best way to keep the colors uniform was to create a global sample set and then use those colors in each image. However, when I completed the first one and moved onto the second, the global color swatch was empty. I assumed being global, they would be available in all subsequent images.

Would really appreciate some advice/thoughts on this if possible

Many thanks!

Windows 8
    Dell XPS 8500
    Artrage Studio Pro 3.5.5

Hmm... That is exactly what the Global samples are for, so something must have gone awry for you. When you load a sample in the Global area, they're supposed to remain saved there throughout whichever project you bring in. I have a specific set of colors, that I use for sketching, which have been stuck in my samples panel for more then a year now.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

That works for me when I try here, very strange.

The first time you add a Global Sample it can be done via the Samples menu in the Samples panel. After that you should see a new 'Global Samples' section in the Samples panel under which all your Global samples are listed.

Check whether the previous samples are reloaded when you reload the old image. If they are, they were Local Samples. If this is the case, from the menu choose 'Export Local Samples', save them as a samples file, then open your new painting. In your new painting, in the Samples panel menu choose 'Import New Global Samples Set' and load the file you saved.

A quick test: In a new file, in the samples panel open the samples menu, then choose 'Add Global Colour Sample'. Start a new painting and check whether the sample remains ( it should ). Close and restart ArtRage and check whether the sample remains. If it doesn't it's possible that ArtRage is having trouble writing to its settings file either due to permissions or a problem with that file. Resetting preferences to default and restarting ArtRage will delete the settings file and recreate it, worthwhile doing to make sure that it's not a settings file problem. Doing this will reset all of your other preferences ( panel size and position, interface colour, input settings etc. ).
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the replies

I've tried it in new documents and have noticed that it sometimes saves, sometimes doesn't. I really don't know what is causing it. For the moment, it appears to be saving the global palette successfully however.

Thanks again!