ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Creating stickers, best surface?

Question Creating stickers, best surface?

I've read the manual (well, most of it) and can't understand which surface I should use to make stickers. I've imported an image on one level of the canvas, and written some text on another level, the goal is to have a file comprising one image and some text then have a proper sticker done by a professional, only when I print it on a local printer it's all a bit blurred, especially the text side of the canvas, and I wondered if that's due to the choice of canvas surface.. which surface should I choose to make a sticker that contains text? Or if the surface is not the problem, what am I missing?
    THANKS

I would recommend two things to you. First the surface I would use would be the Cel preset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cel.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	71285

Second, I encourage you to make your imagery as large as you can reasonably do on your computer system. When you get to the point of delivering your image to a professional for sticker printing, they will likely have specifications about what size your image needs to be for a sticker at a given size. By working large you have as much clarity and precision in your image as possible and things should look more clear in a print.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Thanks for your quick reply.
    The Cel preset seems to give it a little more clarity in fact. I'm a bit confused on the dimensions though, when I said "professional" I didn't mean hand it over to someone who'll advise me on what's best (can't afford it on my budget, and not really worth it as it won't give me any return, it's hobby only), I meant one of those websites which allow you to upload a photo and will send you back the finished article reasonably cheap, I don't think they'll bother to tell me how I could improve the outcome. So it's something I need to sort it on my own, I've seen many tiny stickers where the text could easily be read, obviously can't really tell if they've been done by 'proper' professionals or by some pennypincher like me if someone else have experience on this kindly advise on size and what's best generally. TIA

Hi.
    It's difficult to tell without any example, but did you check the resolution of the image and of the original stickers? Usually for a good print a resolution of at least 300 dpi is required, if some elements start from lower resolution you can have not optimal results.
    Hope this helps.

You lost me at dpi.. maybe I'm just being very naive here, I thought I could write something on the canvas and it would show exactly the same when printed, I hadn't taken into account dimensions and, apparently, dpi. It's gonna be a struggle and I feel a lot of trial and errors coming up... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    You lost me at dpi.. maybe I'm just being very naive here, I thought I could write something on the canvas and it would show exactly the same when printed, I hadn't taken into account dimensions and, apparently, dpi. It's gonna be a struggle and I feel a lot of trial and errors coming up... :/
    Here's a pretty good explanation of "DPI" and "PPI": Link.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for your quick reply.
    The Cel preset seems to give it a little more clarity in fact.
    Good, I'm glad that is helping.

I'm a bit confused on the dimensions though, when I said "professional" I didn't mean hand it over to someone who'll advise me on what's best (can't afford it on my budget, and not really worth it as it won't give me any return, it's hobby only), I meant one of those websites which allow you to upload a photo and will send you back the finished article reasonably cheap, I don't think they'll bother to tell me how I could improve the outcome. So it's something I need to sort it on my own, I've seen many tiny stickers where the text could easily be read, obviously can't really tell if they've been done by 'proper' professionals or by some pennypincher like me if someone else have experience on this kindly advise on size and what's best generally. TIA
    The world of online printing offers a variety of services at varying levels of quality. Some sites offer guidance to their customers in the form of artwork size guidelines in a FAQ or as an inline part of their upload process. Some offer templates that you can use to fit your artwork to before even getting to the point of uploading your artwork. It is in their best interest to provide this knowledge in a simple and clear manner as they recognize that many of their customers are not graphics professionals. I just took a few moments to explore some online options for sticker printing and found the following sites that offer this kind of guidance:

Code:
    http://www.stickermule.com/
    just click on their "templates" link for information about sizes for printing stickers.

Code:
    http://www.psprint.com/stickers-labels
    They are running a 40% off sale right now. Click on their resources link for templates.

Code:
    http://www.printrunner.com/sticker-printing.html
    These guys have a "file help" tab under product options. (scroll down a bit).

There are so many more options out there that will hopefully meet you needs for price and quality.

Good luck.
    Last edited by WebRage; 06-13-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Owner requested their website not to be a live link
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Thank you so much guys. I'm a novice but I feel like I know so much more now.
    I solved my problem, and for the benefits of others who may want to put some text into their stickers what I did was merely increase the pixel/inch field from the default setting (which I think was something like 70 or so) to 300, something I'd've never considered before reading this forum, increasing that field so much means the operations are understandably slower but the results improve MASSIVELY.
    Fashmir thanks again, I should've specified I'm writing from Europe so those website won't apply, or at least won't be cost/effective taking into account p&p, but now I know that kind of services exist I'll find similar websites in the UK or somewhere else nearby.
    Have a lovely weekend guys.

Glad you solved the problem Alistair.
    Yes, the fact is that AR by default starts with a resolution of 72 pixel/inch, that is ideal for the monitor, but quite low for good prints.