ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the UK

Greetings from the UK

Greetings all,
    I found this forum after purchasing a Bamboo Fun,Pen and Touch in meduim size which came as a bundle with Artrage,Corel Painter and Photoshop Elements. I am a traditonal artist firstly working in Coloured Pencils and Graphite, Pen and Ink, and other art types, doing mostly Pet Portraiture, but am a complete and utter novice when it comes to digital art. Having had a little play with artrage, got to say that I am in love with it (only had this for 6 days) and so want to learn how to use it properly. Having had a look around on the boards here, I have seen some fantastic work and I am in awe of what can be achieved, you certainly are a very talented bunch I love the use of stencils and have downloaded some of the ones that have been made by members so my thanks for those. I feel that there is much for me to learn and hope to follow any advice /tutorials shared here as you are my peers in this art form for sure.

Having said all that I do have a question to kick off with first, and that is how do I save a picture as a work in progress...... I am a blogger and share my drawings on my blog by posting up the work in stages, but I am not sure how I can or what format I can save a copy of the picture in artrage without losing it in the program ? I think that make sense !

Thank you for any replies, much apprecaited.

Hi there and welcome to this forum. You'll find it a pretty friendly place, full of folk willing to share and help if they can.

You'll find all the answers you need in the onboard manual, but those things can be pretty daunting, and a lot to take in all at once. I'd suggest dipping into it for specific answers about how to use tools etc when you encounter the question as you create. To get you off to an easy start about file formats though -

ArtRage has a native file format that preserves all 'live' aspects of a painting (ptg). If you click 'save as' in the drop down menu under 'file', it will offer you the chance to save an image where you want, using whatever naming system you find works for you. To save stages simply save at regular intervals as you progress a painting and give them names with some suitable suffix like a letter or number. 'picture a', 'picture b', picture 01, picture 02 or something like that. Just remember to be consistent so that your computer knows to keep them in order together for easy reference later on.

For use on the Internet you will need to use 'export image file', where you will find formats that will work there. Jpeg is a popular choice for its smaller file size, but is what is called 'lossy' - ie it actually degrades the image each time you save to that format, losing bits of information in compressing it. A file saved as a jpeg can be opened in in ArtRage using 'Import Image File', but you'll find any layers or paint quality controls discarded. There is a section in the manual that talks more fully about some of the compatible file options available. As a regular blogger you probably know enough about these already though.

Good luck to you. Hope this little answer helps and that you enjoy the forum.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 11-16-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks Nickillus for your reply, it helps a lot, and I will take on board your advice and use it as needed.

Welcome to our forum as already stated it is one of most friendly boards you could find. .
    Everyone is so willing to share their knowledge and experience with Artrage and the tips and tricks section offers a wide variety of topics.
    We look forward to seeing some of your work.
    Geoff

Welcome on board
    You will surely find a lot of useful info about Artrage here, and also a lot of talented and helpful people.

One of the most rewarding ways to find out what can be done with Art Rage is to simply experiment. I think most of us have found things that can be done with Art Rage that we had not anticipated simply by playing with all the tools. Please keep in mind, though, this is an addictive program. So, go ahead and enjoy the creative process.

Welcome. Just take your time and learn things as you need to know them. Keeps the overwhelm factor down, seeing as this is a fairly simple program that can get deep. Looks like you'll have some fun things to do during the winter months.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Welcome. Just take your time and learn things as you need to know them. Keeps the overwhelm factor down, seeing as this is a fairly simple program that can get deep. Looks like you'll have some fun things to do during the winter months.
    Thanks, oh yes very overwhelming and very addictive too ! Just did not know you could so much with AR so yes looks like the winter months will be taken up with learning how to use it.

Welcome

Welcome to the forums......and ArtRage

You may also want to have a look through all the Magazine Issues. http://www.artrageus.net

We also have a Tutorial and Art Supplies Books for download.

As a Rager you can participate by making submissions too.

Welcome again to our Rager Family and we hope to see your artworks soon

Bobbyray Founder/Editor ArtRageUS Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyray View Post
    Welcome to the forums......and ArtRage

You may also want to have a look through all the Magazine Issues. http://www.artrageus.net

We also have a Tutorial and Art Supplies Books for download.

As a Rager you can participate by making submissions too.

Welcome again to our Rager Family and we hope to see your artworks soon

Bobbyray Founder/Editor ArtRageUS Magazine

Hi there,
    Thank you so much for the information, it is very helpful, however I am not quite brave enough to share any of my paltry efforts so far....one hopes to perhaps in a weeks time she says hopefully !