ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy speech bubbles?

Easy speech bubbles?

(Don't know if this is the right forum for this, but hey ho.)

Hi all! I like to do a fair amount of comic book style art work, and I was wondering if there was an easy way to create nice, neat, professional looking speech bubbles? I know there are a few speech bubble stencils available, but is there a way of making nice looking ones 'by hand', so to speak? I've tried using the gloop pen, but it doesn't really give me that crisp comic book feel I'm after...

Ink Pen with a bit of smoothing turned on.... and a sure hand?

There are a number of programs that will do this for you. This is my personal favorite, and it's cheap. http://comiclife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Ink Pen with a bit of smoothing turned on.... and a sure hand?
    That's my main problem, though - I don't have a steady hand!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Docsmith626 View Post
    There are a number of programs that will do this for you. This is my personal favorite, and it's cheap. http://comiclife.com/
    Thanks! This looks like a really good program! I think I know what I'm getting with my next pay packet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetabbycat View Post
    Thanks! This looks like a really good program! I think I know what I'm getting with my next pay packet!
    A bit more expensive there is also the quite famous Manga Studio Debut:

http://manga.smithmicro.com/ms.html

I don't have it, but read several positive reviews.

If you're looking for a method that can be done with ArtRage alone, I have a trick I like to use that may help. It's not perfect, but I can usually make due with it. I've attached an example image to this post, to give you an idea of some of the styles you can pull off. I made a video tutorial for this, as well. It can be viewed here: LINK

The video probably makes it look more complicated then it really is, though. When you get accustomed to the steps involved, you can easily pull off what I've done below, in about three minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bubbles.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	71159
    Last edited by Someonesane; 11-15-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    If you're looking for a method that can be done with ArtRage alone, I have a trick I like to use that may help. It's not perfect, but I can usually make due with it. I've attached an example image to this post, to give you an idea of some of the styles you can pull off. I made a video tutorial for this, as well. It can be viewed here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...speech-bubbles

The video probably makes it look more complicated then it really is, though. When you get accustomed to the steps involved, you can easily pull off what I've done below, in about three minutes.
    Certainly sounds interesting! But the link in your post just leads back to the top of this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetabbycat View Post
    Certainly sounds interesting! But the link in your post just leads back to the top of this thread!
    Whoops! Sorry about that. Was getting late when I posted it, and must've copied the URL from the wrong tab. I fixed it now, but here it is again: LINK
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Red face

That is very clever, using the blur option. I was wondering how you would outline it, expecting to transform/shrink the white top layer, revealing the black.