Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stickerspray Mandala (UPDATE April 18)

A psychedelic doily. . . far out! Hahaha. No, kidding, but that's really cool!!!! But had you come out with that in the 60s, you could have written your own ticket as the coolest black light poster ever, if it were against black.

No, it's a really fine design. I love it just as it is. Very complete and eye catching. Bet it was fun to do.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

@ byroncallas ~ I've read your first comment before you edited it ... there's no "trade secret" ... see below.
    @ coops ~ yes it took me some time, thanks for looking and commenting
    @ Silvy ~ thank you! glad you like those mandalas.
    @ Gary ~ as you noticed, I love ArtRage stickerspray and I feel "at home" when using them. thank you for your kind comment
    @ Shibui ~ thanks, much appreciated!
    @ Caesar ~ thanks kindly
    @ D Akey ~ unfortunately I wasn't able to create something like this during the sixties because I was too young back then ... thanks for stopping by, glad you like

@ Zeropainter ~ thank you ... I'm not familiar with Krita, but I used Sumo Paint to get the symmetry (kaleidoscope).

what I did was creating a painting in ArtRage using only stickerspray. I then imported the .png into SumoPaint to play with the kaleidoscope thingie, and exported back into ArtRage to make some final touches.

here's the original (100% AR stickerspray):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121031_kal2_WEB.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	71241

Name:	121119_Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	71242
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

The original is a lovely bit of sticker work. Personally, I like it better than the filter result. It's got a lot of whimsy and life and clearly took some doing. I love it.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

thank you byroncallas, to me the original work seemed too plump, and not "perfect" enough ...

I will post some more mandalas when I get the time, stay tuned!

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

Quote Originally Posted by MSIE View Post
    thank you byroncallas, to me the original work seemed too plump, and not "perfect" enough ...

I will post some more mandalas when I get the time, stay tuned!
    I guess in the end that all intends on your personal goals for the piece. The filter, of course, gives you a certain kind of machine perfection and the mandalas are exceedingly beautiful. On the other hand, the original source piece is rich with the work of your hand and is, for me, much more fun to explore. It's asymmetry and the various choices you made, and the hurdles you obviously had to overcome are more richly perceived. So, I like the machine produced results in one context, and the source material in another context. But the most interesting to me (of course a personal like, and different people are different) is the original source material. I spent 10 minutes with it just wandering around in it and having fun, while maybe a minute with the filtered result which is "groked" very quickly. Certainly others will disagree. That's what makes horse races.

Best,
    b

Smile Feather Fur Mandala for Pai

heya, I want to update this thread with a new stickerspray mandala I made after reading RobertSWade's thread about Pai. I remember when I was new to the forums, I've always admired Pai's paintings
    I did a search for her postings to look at her wonderful paintings one more time, and I found a stickerspray she shared (which I missed back then when it was posted - so it was new to me), and I tried it out yesterday. Of course I used the new symmetry tool in AR4 plus a variety of my own stickersprays.

I am glad Pai returned to the forums

so here it is, my Feather Fur Mandala dedicated to Pai:
    [click to enlarge]

Name:	130228_symmm_WEB.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	482.6 KB 
ID:	73720

I hope you like it ~ comments and critiques are welcome as always!

as the picture is not as sharp as the original, I'll show you a detail where you can see Pai's wonderful feather fur stickerspray more clearly.
    ~ get her stickerspray HERE ~

[click to enlarge]

Name:	130228_symmm_cropped.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	487.9 KB 
ID:	73721

Wonderful images MSIE! I didn't know what to call them until I read this post. Thanks for showing the zoomed in shot. I've been having lots of fun with ArtRage 4 and the stickers using the Symmetry tool.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Aww, so beautifully and creative piece, MSIE, it's like you can touch it through the screen, so 3D look. I missed that. And thanks so much for your nice words. I am a very newbie now to AR4. You will be one of my instructors here to show me how to use all these fabulous tools.

MSIE, you surely have a most wonderful knack for these. This is beautiful. And drawing on Pai's work for inspiration is, well, inspired.
    Just great all around.

Aunt Betsy, thank you I don't know if anyone else is calling them "stickerspray mandala" - it's a term I came up with when I started to create those things using AR SP 3.5 which did not have a symmetry tool

Pai ~ yes, me too I love the 3D look of the stickersprays, the shadow settings really make it pop ... although I am a newbie to AR4 as well (we all are! it's only been released two weeks ago), feel free to ask any questions thanks for your kind comment!

byroncallas ~ thank you for looking and commenting and yes I agree, I get inspired by beautiful things and if the creator of those things is sharing some essentials like Pai did with her feather/fur stickerspray preset, it's a pleasure for me to use them and create something beautiful as well