ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Inking Pen and Tapered Lines

Unhappy Inking Pen and Tapered Lines

I have a pretty huge issue with how the ink pen in Artrage works; aside from this I absolutely love the program, and despite my preference for inking in other programs (Sai and Manga Studio,) I would prefer to work in Artrage.

Now, the actual issue I'm having is that I find it nearly impossible to create a line that cleanly tapers without the assistance of the tapering setting, which I find fairly inefficient in comparison to just drawing a tapered line using the pressure sensitivity of my pen. I'll attach a picture to show the problem I'm having; when I create a line, there tends to be a little blob at the end of it. This looks really bad, and I don't have this kind of issue in any other program. Anyone have any answers as to whether or not this can be fixed, or am I just stuck with this? I'd prefer to do all/a majority of my work in Artrage if possible and not have to hop between programs while working on a single drawing.

Also, apologies if this has been addressed already, but I was unable to get any kind of results using the search tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grosslines.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	71024  

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinPingu View Post
    I have a pretty huge issue with how the ink pen in Artrage works; aside from this I absolutely love the program, and despite my preference for inking in other programs (Sai and Manga Studio,) I would prefer to work in Artrage.
    Now, the actual issue I'm having is that I find it nearly impossible to create a line that cleanly tapers without the assistance of the tapering setting, which I find fairly inefficient in comparison to just drawing a tapered line using the pressure sensitivity of my pen. I'll attach a picture to show the problem I'm having; when I create a line, there tends to be a little blob at the end of it. This looks really bad, and I don't have this kind of issue in any other program. Anyone have any answers as to whether or not this can be fixed, or am I just stuck with this? I'd prefer to do all/a majority of my work in Artrage if possible and not have to hop between programs while working on a single drawing.
    Hi,
    I am not expert in inking with AR, but probably it is a matter of playing a bit with the settings to find a suitable condition. I tried to completely avoid the "Taper length" setting, and the results don't seem terrible using my Intous 4 S. Are these acceptable for you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR Ink pen without Taper setting.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	71044

You might find that reducing the Pressure value of the tool helps. While I don't get exactly the same results when I try to replicate the problem, I do see some fluctuation at the end of the stroke that I believe is due to a small variance in pressure as I go to raise the stylus. Reducing the Pressure value reduces the sensitivity of the tool and this can smooth out the pressure curve enough to remove some of the variance.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.