ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pencil and paper for comic-like concept art

Pencil and paper for comic-like concept art

Hello there,
    I'm pretty new to ArtRage (only 3 months now, maybe 4).
    I'd like to do some comic-like stuff, where you have like one color-scheme and only one a little bit darker for the shadow.
    Basically like this stuff:
    Name:  concept art batman.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  97.0 KB

Which pencils and papers do I use for these?

Thank you

P.S.: OK, I found the right paper, but this is pretty weird: I open a new document and choose as paper "specials - cel". Then i get that one with the so to say "transparent" background like in photoshop. If I then open a new document again, artrage automatically gives me as paper the "cel" but this time with white "background" insted of the gray small boxes. What do I do to get this white cel-paper in the first place?
    Last edited by mario; 11-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Hello Mario,

Welcome to the ArtRage forums. You're going to want to save the Canvas as your default canvas. To do this, follow these steps:

1 - Select View > Canvas Settings.
    2 - Now click on the Menu tab (Small box, with four horizontal lines on it, just above the Opacity dial), and select "Use Current Canvas as Default" from it.

That should allow the program to open itself with that canvas in the future. But the lighting will still be on, by default, so you might want to make a short cut for that, to turn it off. Otherwise it will look as though you have a gradient on your colors.

As for the tools you're going to use, I'd suggest using the Ink Pen tool for inking. What you use to sketch the work, is a toss up. I've enjoyed using the Pencil tool in the past, but lately I've been using my own type of pencil brushes, using the Sticker Spray tool. Some of which, may be found (free to use) here: LINK
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

It worked! (Of course it did, I know ^^ )
    Thank you.
    What still confuses me, is that the canvas that I'm using now is not "mentioned". I only got it through always doing the two steps i described before. Strange...

I'm not sure I understand... Do you want the canvas to be white? If so, select the cell preset again, but then set the Opacity to 100%. It'll keep the surface smooth, but set the background color to white.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

No, everything worked like you said. I was still just wondering about what was going on. But thanks =)