ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Erase but with a paintbrush, or paint with 'empty' paint leaves area transparent

Erase but with a paintbrush, or paint with 'empty' paint leaves area transparent

Hi.
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post the question but I searched and could not find something that matched what I need.

Having recently purchased ArtRage Pro I am trying to achieve a particular effect. I want to 'paint' a picture into existance (that is make it visible from black) using a paint brush to having brush strokes. Basically I can do this by putting the picture on a bottom layer, then putting a black layer on top of it and use the eraser to remove the paint thus revealing the picture underneath. But the eraser does not look like a paint brush painting - obviously and it has the wrong texture and shape.

The idea is to play this as an animation as if an artist is painting the picture - but actually is just revealing the picture.

What I would like to know is...
    Is there a way of 'painting' what would be 'erasing paint' - in effect replacing the black with transparency which is what the erase brush is actually doing.
    Or...
    Is there a way of changing the eraser to be more like the texture and behaviour of say an oil or watercolour brush.

many thanks in advance.

Iso

Where there is a will, there is usually a way. In your case, there is a way.

Import (or paint) whatever picture it is you wish to reveal by painting on the black layer. Then, create a new layer, and fill it with black. Now, right click on the black layer, and select Blend Mode > Multiply. Now select pure white as your drawing color, and select any tool you'd like to draw with, and paint away on the black layer. Use a pure black color to fill in any areas you might want to recover.

(EDIT) - Here's a quick example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchboard.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	70877  
    Last edited by Someonesane; 10-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

This concept reminds me of 'Scratch-Art' - where you take a white or multi-colored sub-medium and coat it with some kind of black coating (I think we used black tempera paint when I was in school) . . . then scratch away at the surface with some kind of scribing tool to reveal your image. It is essentially working out your image in reverse - a kind of negative painting technique . . . I've seen some pretty amazing art done this way - google 'scratch art' and see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Where there is a will, there is usually a way. In your case, there is a way.

Import (or paint) whatever picture it is you wish to reveal by painting on the black layer. Then, create a new layer, and fill it with black. Now, right click on the black layer, and select Blend Mode > Multiply. Now select pure white as your drawing color, and select any tool you'd like to draw with, and paint away on the black layer. Use a pure black color to fill in any areas you might want to recover.

(EDIT) - Here's a quick example:
    Many thanks for the feedback and example. Apologies but I have been away on boating on the canals in UK. I will give it a try this week. Once again thanks for the help.

Iso