ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gladiators of Rome

Gladiators of Rome

Today October the 18th, a new Italian animation movie (3D) is out in all cinemas over here, for kids (and grown people as well). It's entitled "Gladiatori di Roma", Gladiators of Rome (not that different, isn't it? ).
    The new company creating it is in Rome and already animated a movie with the Winx, another national glory and international success both as dolls and as cartoons. I hope some of You, having little girls, know them.
    Here's one of the feminine characters of such a story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gladiators of Rome.jpg 
Views:	2506 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	70780  
    Last edited by Caesar; 10-19-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Many swords would raise in tribute to this champion gladiator, but it would be criminal to do her harm even for the pleasure of the other Caesar.

Fun image. Sorta twisted. She thrives in business in my town, I dare say. Hahaha.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I can see why this gladiator would win.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Dear D Akey, sword raising would be for greeting and paying due resepct in this case and I think opponents would rather use the rethiarius net to fish such a mermaid (without the trident of course). LOL
    Anyway although Roman women had much more consideration, freedom and rights than anywhere else in that age, I doubt that it ever existed a gladiator(ess) or any professionally fighting one, but You know, in today's movies You have to always keep a mixed character composition compliant to a "politically correct" principle, therefore You may even find a Viking looking like a Nubian, a lady playing the macho in gentlemen toilettes or arabian girl playing a geisha role ... LOL What's for sure is that the Roman Empire, and Rome in particular, was also a unique melting pot and merge of nations and cultures and You could find an amazingly multi-ethnical population for that age. Thank You!

Thank You, dear GRSArts! Right! It would have been pretty hard to keep concentraed in front of such a charming opponent. LOL

Caesar, this is a fantastic piece, you have really given us the feel of her armour, the thickness makes it stand out from the body, you always do so well at this, really like this a lot

I guess she does not need much armour, the sight of her curves would bring the enemy to defeat, well done my friend.
    Geoff

Indeed there were such things as female gladiators Cesar. So do feel free to paint some more!
    The marble relief is in the British Museum and the statue is in the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbein, Hamburg.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by markw; 10-20-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Caesar, this is very well done...A fine painting !!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Caesar... I surrender!....I am too distracted and put up much resistance... excellent work especially the smirking smile...

Thank You, dear Pat! Still not too close to a real 3-D like and perfect rendering though.

Curves are dangerous not only for drivers, dear Geoff! Thank You.

You're right, dear Markw, thank You! Actually there are also some written and archaelogical evidence to support what You say, even if most scholars think gladiatrices were more rare, perhaps a special show and a curiosity. They didn't fight against men as far as I know though, they usually fought among themselves (like for the Olympics today) or against dwarves and often with naked breast rather than armoured (as You also showed). So it was probably a top event (they seem to enter arena at evening) but also a somehow side entertainment (there's no cited gladiatrix superstar as it happened with some gladiator superstar as far as I know) and I tend to believe it was the ancient version of women wrestling or mudfighting. After all the Greek and Roman mythology narrated of women warriors (the amazons) and fighting and hunting goddesses even if ordinary women (especially the Greek ones, practically rightless and enclosed at home) didn't practice those disciplines.

Thank You, dear Steve! I'm less for still lives, as You can see! LOL

Dear Gary, I thought (and hoped ) her smile was for me, but I soon realised that it was directed the young, handsome protagonist. LOL Thank You!
    My next target .... Halloween, as a gift to all US, british and anglo-saxon people still celebrating this celtic-rooted event, now commercially exported too to make money with additional parties and costumes.