ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saving a piece for later?

saving a piece for later?

Hello! I am new to the boards and the world of Artrage! Is there any way to save a piece of work for later? I am afraid to turn off the program because I don't know if I can pull up the work later with with all the different layers still there. Is there anyway to save a whole session?

Welcome PaintedGecko to the forums! You're going to have a lot of fun with this software
    From the ArtRage menu go to; File > Save As…
    A window will open where you can name your project and chose a destination for it on your hard drive where it will be saved to.
    Make sure under Format you are saving as an ArtRage Painting which has a file extension; .ptg

Thank you for the quick response! I saved it like you said, but I am a little confused. How do I get the same piece of work back on the program if I wan't to do more with it?

Just treat it like a normal file on your computer and either open it from the 'File >Open Painting' at the top left of the AR page, or 'File> Recent Files' from the same place..... or go to your Documents Folder, or wherever you filed it, right click on your painting you want and select 'Open With' .... and select Art Rage.

So just to make sure(I have invested like 15 hours in this painting so I wan't to be sure lol!) if I do what you said, I can get back the painting with all of the individual layers and everything?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaintedGecko View Post
    So just to make sure(I have invested like 15 hours in this painting so I wan't to be sure lol!) if I do what you said, I can get back the painting with all of the individual layers and everything?
    Yes. Using File > Save Painting As will save your current image as a .PTG file type, which is an ArtRage specific file designed specifically for storing the special qualities within the ArtRage program, such as "wet" paint, paint thickness, layers, texture settings, local color samples, etc. Once you save the work as a .ptg, you may then reopen the file in ArtRage at a later time by either double clicking on the file in the folder you saved it to (which will auto-launch the program, and open the file), or opening ArtRage first, and then going to File > Recent Files and selecting the recently saved image from the list, or by going to File > Open Painting and selecting the file manually from the folder location you saved it.

Only when you have finished your image and plan to share it online, should you use the File > Export Image File option, to save the image as .jpg or .png file type (but always keep the last .ptg file you worked on as back up, just in case).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

awesome! Thanks so much for the help!

I have Photoshop as well, and quite often if I just double click on the .ptg file, Photoshop will try and open it, which it fails to do, of course. That's why I right click and select 'Open With'. Can I change a setting?

We want to see your 15 hour painting! It sounds like a good one! :0)
    Last edited by copespeak; 10-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    I have Photoshop as well, and quite often if I just double click on the .ptg file, Photoshop will try and open it, which it fails to do, of course. That's why I right click and select 'Open With'. Can I change a setting?

We want to see your 15 hour painting! It sounds like a good one! :0)
    Sounds like you inadvertently changed the association for the .ptg file extension over to Photoshop. The fix is pretty close to what you've already been doing to open the file now. Right click on a .ptg file, select Open With > Choose Default Program, and then select your ArtRage Program. BE SURE to check mark the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" option at the bottom of the window, before clicking Ok. This should ensure double clicking on the .ptg files will open them in ArtRage.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

After you install Artrage, by default PTG files will open with the software, but it does sound like the association has changed at some point. Someonesane's suggestion is a good one and should correct the file association. Otherwise, if you were to uninstall then reinstall ArtRage it should also reassociate PTG files with ArtRage. I hope this helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design