ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: About DPI, Enlargements, Printing

Gallery
    View images

About DPI, Enlargements, Printing

I would like to know if upscaling an image will introduce pixelation? i.e. If I create a 1024 x 768 image and enlarge it within the program to 1600 x 1200, will it become blurry? And yes, I'll be using ArtRage's file extension.

I ask because it'd be nice to print posters of art I've created at 1024 x 768.

Finally, what DPI does Art Rage use, if any?

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Finally, what DPI does Art Rage use, if any?
    This is a common issue for many people. The important thing to remember is that an image does not have a DPI. DPI refers to the number of pixels an output device can create. If you have a 300 DPI printer, and you print a 1500 x 2100 image without upscaling, it will be 5 inches by 7 inches in size. If you print it on a printer with 600 DPI output, the printed image will be just 2.5 by 3.5 inches.

Back to the fact that an image does not have a DPI -- just imagine a 14 inch montor and a 17 inch monitor both running at 1024x768. They have the same number of pixels displayed, but the DPI is obviously different. If they are displaying the same image (your painting), you can see that your painting does not define the DPI -- the monitors do.

Back to you your question about pixelation, if you were to print a 1024x768 image at a large size (say, a full letter-sized page), you will most likely see a bit of pixelation.

I hope this made sense.

David

Gallery
    View images
    Rescaling from 1024 x 768 up to 1600 x 1200 should be fine. We use a high-quality scaling system, both when scaling up and when scaling down.

Regarding DPI - internally ArtRage just works at screen resolution - all in pixels. When we export to a Photoshop PSD, we pretend we were working at 72dpi, because that's typical for Windows and Macintosh screen resolution.
    In reality, you probably only care about DPI whe you're printing out. ArtRage ignores the DPI of the printer, and just scales the printed image to fit the page.
    If you want more advanced control over printed output and DPI, you're better to export the painting as a .psd, and take it into another application that has more advanced control over printed output.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi, i'm really considering buying a certain sketch tool. I'm still wandering around. Though ArtRage really has some very good potential at an affordable price.

To speak further on topic, the dpi output system is really a must have for my concern, since i'm working in the graphical (print) field. Is there any planning on developing such a panel in the near future?

I guess the only reasonable alternative would be to make a file at first in photoshop for printing (300 dpi) and opening it in ArtRage. Is this a good matter of thinking, of would this program rescale it back towards the 72dpi web output?

This is one of the stuggles I still have before buying. In fact I'm looking for a good and cheap alternative for Painter, which costs too much to start with...
    Still, I like the idea and community behind the concept of ArtRage. The really up to date info and patches would make me probably choose for this kind of tool. Congratz so far!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Divian.
    The easiest way to decide what size to set your canvas in ArtRage is to just do the quick calculation yourself.
    If you want to produce something that will be 7" by 5", and you know you're working at 300 DPI, the your canvas will need to be (300 x 7) by (300 x 5) which is 2100 x 1500 pixels in ArtRage.

When it comes to printing it out, you're best to use another application such as Photoshop. ArtRage has only very basic print support.
    Export your painting as a .psd, which will keep all your layers intact and keep the quality very high. Import it into Photoshop, adjust the printed output as necessary, and print from there.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"