ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Woman in blue

Gallery
    View images

Woman in blue

This is an unfinished painting I've been working on. I'm fearing doing the eyes and hair. Any suggestions on how to finish it or just general suggestions or comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    I don't have much experience in this area -so someone correct me if I'm very wrong. Eyes are spheres and if you draw the sphere and 'stretch' the lids following the contours you get good results. What I mean is many people draw the eye as flat lines. Here is a charcoal study I did of my wife's eye.

http://stormvisions.com/gallery/main...ks1/FD2013.jpg

if you look you will see that the curve of the lids follows the curve of the underlying sphere.

Hope that helps.

Gallery
    View images
    Anythings better than nothing, but great advice I'm checking the link out now. I'm just being a baby, being scared of trying to put something into my painting I'm scared I won't like.

Gallery
    View images
    Also remember that the white of the eye is not white, but off white - kind of like your lightest skin color. The upper lid will also cast a shadow on the eyeball - look for it in your references.
    Your painting looks pretty good so far. I realize that you are not done yet but I think that when you add hi lites things will pull together.
    If you aren't ready for the eyes yet why not have her wear sun glasses?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the tips on the eyes guys. What color do you use for eyes? A very close to gray version of yellow? Any tips on the sweatshirt? I know it looks pretty blocky because I didn't really make it very flowing looking, but I didn't wanna have to spend a lot of time making folds in the cloth when it really isn't the main part of my drawing.

Gallery
    View images
    Reillyr - Which part of the eye are you asking about? The whites are usually a very light bluish gray, the irises depend on the person and with your models skin coloring I would guess they should be brown or greenish gray (hazel). The iris is not just a flat color either, it has lights and darks depending on how the light passes through the cornea. The pupil is usually black with a hi lite that depends on the color of the light illuminating your model and reflected in the eye. It is tricky to get a convincingly wet looking eye because of the curvature of the eyeball, the thickness of the cornea which refracts light, and the shine of the wet eye. Also don't forget that the inside corner has a little pink triangular area where the tear duct is.
    And you thought you could get a quick explanation of how to do eyes! The best advice is get some pictures of eyes and try painting them only for a while.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    very detailed response, thanks. I suppose I should have been more specific. For the whites of your eyes what color do you use, blue grey? I think i liked it best with a hint of yellow in it.

Gallery
    View images
    That would work too. It largely depends on the scene lighting. It's like they say "Whatever floats your boat!"