ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: All I want for X-mas is my transform tool... my transform tool...

All I want for X-mas is my transform tool... my transform tool...

Now I've tried Photoshop, GIMP (with various add-ons), Krita (nice but not for PC yet), Painter, MyPaint and some others... I keep coming back to ArtRage!
    Just so simple and well working, blows my mind every time I "return".
    Just one thing I miss (apart for some performance issues) is the Photoshop "transform tool". Especially for koncept art and decals/repeated details - priceless.
    The current selection tool and transform work OK, I've seen some pixelation effects sometimes. It just needs the "warp" ability so that I can get 2D-designs to fit over 3D objects.
    For industrial designing, the ability to have some curves as a vector layer would be nice, but not a must.
    If such a "warp" engine could be implemented then perhaps a "displace" tool could be added as well? A brush that nudges an entire area with a fall-off, for minor tweaks (from GIMP, was a layer modifier i believe).

So to recap:

1) What I would gladly pay for, if I had had any money: Transform options to "warp".

2) The rest, not as important really: Vector graphics, Displace tool

I see a definitive opening for a super-pro version/add-on with #2 features.

//Daniel
    Last edited by MagnaCrea; 09-26-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Why not just export it as a PSD to P/s, keeping it's layers etc and then import it back into art rage as a PSD, I have done this many times.
    Geoff

Hahahahah, it works

Please, now tell me there's a transformation/warp tool and I'll go stand on the streets and sell ArtRage copies right away

(Edited my first post, to keep it clean)

There is a caveat to exporting and importing especially if the same image is taken in and out of AR into Photoshop and back more than once. The canvas lighting in AR is applied to all the layers upon export if it is turned on in the canvas properties. I highly recommend turning lighting off in your canvas light when you export if you plan on bringing your image back into AR as this will have a stacking effect when you import back in to AR and lighting is again applied by the settings. Done several times this stacking can cause an undesired tonal shift in your image.

I further suggest that if you are simply going to apply a transform, warp or other simple modification to a single layer, that when you are done in Photoshop, just solo that layer and save as a png. This will allow you to simply import the png file to layer and insert it back into your ptg file which has all of your paint, grain, etc. data that does not get saved in a psd file.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Name:  Coming soon.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  36.1 KB
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

LOL roll on xmas
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Thank you Fashmir! Good point on the lighting issue. (Off topic: btw, are you happy with the cintiq?)
    Hopefully I won't have to go via PS...
    Right? Andy? Does that smiley mean I have to spend new years eve on a cold corner hollering "get it now! new features, best there is!"??

I LOVE the Cintiq.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir View Post
    There is a caveat to exporting and importing especially if the same image is taken in and out of AR into Photoshop and back more than once. The canvas lighting in AR is applied to all the layers upon export if it is turned on in the canvas properties. I highly recommend turning lighting off in your canvas light when you export if you plan on bringing your image back into AR as this will have a stacking effect when you import back in to AR and lighting is again applied by the settings. Done several times this stacking can cause an undesired tonal shift in your image.

I further suggest that if you are simply going to apply a transform, warp or other simple modification to a single layer, that when you are done in Photoshop, just solo that layer and save as a png. This will allow you to simply import the png file to layer and insert it back into your ptg file which has all of your paint, grain, etc. data that does not get saved in a psd file.
    Great tip & suggestion....

Would love to have a full transform tool like Photoshop....