ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intuos 5 Touch M surface is crap

Katsunami Guest

Intuos 5 Touch M surface is crap

Just a little ranting thread... skip it if you wish

Since about a week I'm the proud owner of an Intuos 5 Touch M. Because I've never heard bad stories about Wacom, and them basically being the only game in town for anyting better than Trust or Sweex A6 tablets (at least in the Netherlands), i bought it blindly, basically.

So, I put up some music, and started to draw, draw... and draw some more.

Imagine my surprise when my playlist ran out on the second day.

*scratch, scratch*
    *ssccrrrrraaaatch*

What the hell...

So I took a look at the pen nib. 2 days, maybe 8 hours of drawing, and it was sanded FLAT, and as SHARP as a needle, scratching into the texture of the tablet. The tablet already has quite some marks on the surface. Not deep; the pen does not catch in them, but quite visible. So I went for a search, and found that the Intuos 4 had this same problem because of a rough surface. There's a 90 page thread on the Wacom forum about this... Wacom seemed to have "fixed" this in 2010, more than one year after introduction of Intuos 4, giving it a new, less rough surface.

Wacom says on the forum that many people seem to like the "paper-like roughness" of the new surfaces and take the fast nib wear for granted, and that the surface damage is just superficial and won't impair the tablet functionality. Still, I am not inclined to replace my nib every 8 hours of drawing, seeing that they cost around 4,50 for 5 (cheapest version: the special nibs can go up to 15 for 5), excluding shipment cost of 6. (We're taking about 5 pieces of plastic, that look like a 3cm long toothpick...) And then I haven't even mentioned the mounting damage to the tablet surface.

The Intuos 5 also has this "new" surface.... I don't even want to *know* about the even rougher original surface of the Intuos 4. It must have destroyed pen nibs like sanding paper. It's a far cry from Intuos 3 and before; they seem to have a smooth surface, onto which a nib lasts for weeks, if not months, and these tablets seem to be the source of the big name Wacom has built up.

So I've tried some stuff with regard to the Intuos 5, to cover the surface with paper or plastic. I've tested several papers and plastics. The solution that worked for me is to use actual paper on top of the Intuos 5. (Plastic, such as a thin overhead sheet, is WAY too slick.) Standard copy 80 gr/m copy paper is too scratchy for my taste. In the end, I settled on Xerox Colortech+ A4 200 gr/m color laser printer paper of which I had a stack lying around. It's thick, and very smooth paper. (But not shiny and satiny, like photo paper.) I've taped this to the Intuos 5 using 4 tiny pieces of transparent tape on the corners.

The result is an Intuos 5 that now works like a dream. I've used it for hours on end (since day three), using a new nib, and I can't see any actual wear on the nib at this point. The tablet feels like actual paper. (Yeah. Like: duh... ) The pen flies over the laser printer paper; it doesn't scratch anymore. Drawing curves is much easier than on the actual Intuos 5 surface.

Just saying: if you buy an Intuos 4 (they're not all sold out yet, and can be had at a huge discount of over 40%) or Intuos 5, consider sticking a thick, smooth sheet of paper on top to improve the tablet and drawing experience tremendously.

While I regret to have to do such a thing to a 350 professional drawing tablet, I'm practical enough to just see the Intuos 5 as a tool and treat it as such; which means to use it in the way that suits me best and make it work in one way or another. this little "stick a sheet of paper to the tablet"-mod turned the device from a disappointment into a pure joy to use. I actually think Wacom should look into this, and provide ridges on the left and right, on the Intuos 6, to tuck a sheet of paper into, so people can use what they see fit.

/rant over
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-20-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Well I have a 50 small Bamboo Fun tablet which is as smooth as an androids bottom...and the moral of the story is:

"It doesn't always pay to 'go large'"

I also use the 5 and my surface is good, maybe this has something to do with the personal pressure that we use, my nib usage is quite low also.
    Geoff

Katsunami Guest
    Wacom says that most of the time too. I can't imagine; the settings curve for the pen pressure is already set to the maximum sensitivity. (I've pulled the curve all the way to the left to raise the slope to maximum, so the least amount of pressure is necessary). Normally I write using a fountain pen; I've done so for the last 20 years, and I know I write very lightly.

I do need to put the maximum pressure onto the pen for thick lines and broad strokes; and I've been using both a lot since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkgal View Post
    Well I have a 50 small Bamboo Fun tablet which is as smooth as an androids bottom...and the moral of the story is:

"It doesn't always pay to 'go large'"

All Wacom tablet series are different with regard to finish and surface.

It is a failing of mine to buy the best I can afford. Or a blessing, because you know that he who tries to save money and buys something that he actually does not want, always pays twice in the end. I don't know if this habit costs or saves me money in the long run I'm actually glad that I can't afford the Cintiq at this time; it's a bit over the top for a "purchase for fun"
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-20-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Moving cursor with touch

While I agree with you about the surface I have another problem with Intuos5 Touch M. It is about the touch feature. I can't move the cursor slowly because then it just stops. If I move it faster then it is ok.

To test things I have disabled Wacom Professional Touch Service, this is the service that controls the motion of the cursor when moving it using touch service. It smooths out and interpolates the motion. So when this is off and I swipe the finger from one side to the other the motion is terrible, it jitters and jumps from one place to the next in instant increments even though the movement of my finger is smooth. So with this service off the problem is visible the most. If I turn the service back on wacom driver smooths out the motion somewhat but than it is impossible to move the cursor slowly because the cursor just stops and sits in one place even though I move my finger constantly.

I want to find out if such behaviour is normal or not so any kind of input from wacom touch users would be appreciated.

If you don't like the surface of the Intuos5 (mine seems fine) go down to the local stationery store and some A4 (or whatever) transparencies for overhead projectors. Cut it to the right size and tack it down with tiny blobs of Blutak in the corners. Voila, nice smooth surface. Also great if you happen to get a scratch on the surface. Replacing the Intuos pad costs a fortune.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

I've been scratching around on my Intuos 4 for months now, and am still on the same nib. Will need replacing soon though......

I can confirm that somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
    Just a little ranting thread... skip it if you wish

Since about a week I'm the proud owner of an Intuos 5 Touch M. Because I've never heard bad stories about Wacom, and them basically being the only game in town for anyting better than Trust or Sweex A6 tablets (at least in the Netherlands), i bought it blindly, basically.

So, I put up some music, and started to draw, draw... and draw some more.

Imagine my surprise when my playlist ran out on the second day.

*scratch, scratch*
    *ssccrrrrraaaatch*

/rant over
    Hi, I wrote a long answer to your text, but this forum soft is provided by Wacom too - my login timed out and when I
    pressed preview everything was gone

So here a short form again:

I bought an Bamboo Pen & Touch and can confirm your observation. After using it 1 day the surface was full of
    scratches. The surface looked after 1 day like the one on my Intuos 3 after using it for month! And I am using it
    more than 12 hours almost every day.
    Touch is crap on Windows XP anyway - however I am not a touch guy anyway, not on PC not on Mac.
    After 5 minutes of touching around my hand falls off.

Using paper is a good idea which I considered too, but I have not found my old transparent architektur copy paper
    yet, so I have not tested it yet.

I am happy that I have an Intuos 3 and not an Intuos 4 or 5. The new Touch-Surface is complete crap!

I wonder how fast the surface on the very expensive Cintiq gets killed? From the product description I could
    not find out, if it comes with a transparent exchangable surface protection or not?

CU.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

I have probleme with touch stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoreta1 View Post
    While I agree with you about the surface I have another problem with Intuos5 Touch M. It is about the touch feature. I can't move the cursor slowly because then it just stops. If I move it faster then it is ok.

To test things I have disabled Wacom Professional Touch Service, this is the service that controls the motion of the cursor when moving it using touch service. It smooths out and interpolates the motion. So when this is off and I swipe the finger from one side to the other the motion is terrible, it jitters and jumps from one place to the next in instant increments even though the movement of my finger is smooth. So with this service off the problem is visible the most. If I turn the service back on wacom driver smooths out the motion somewhat but than it is impossible to move the cursor slowly because the cursor just stops and sits in one place even though I move my finger constantly.

I want to find out if such behaviour is normal or not so any kind of input from wacom touch users would be appreciated.
    I have such problems with the Bamboo touch functions too. I use it on a notebook with Windows XP and there seem some
    driver conflicts with the touchpad drivers of the notebook. I had to disable the notebook's touchpad functions to get the
    touch functions of the tablet working somehow, but it was still faulty.
    As touch is nothing for me - as I found out later, when testing the working Mac touchpad solution on an iMac, I burried any
    touch function on graphic tablet.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

I've an Intous 4. The surface is smooth -has never been scratchy. The first nib lasted two years and was used almost every day. I can't say for the "5", but the 4 could not possibly be more smooth. (??)
    Last edited by byroncallas; 11-05-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: pselling
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4