ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wet in Wet

Wet in Wet

Ppppppplease help. I'm a real beginner to AR how can I apply wet in wet techniques . I would be so grateful for any help. Also how to I find white paint?
    I have laid down colours for a sky but now need to know how to blend them. Thx.

Hi there and welcome Mea Bee!
    I'm not sure I can help directly but I'm sure a wet on wet expert will be along shortly.
    In the mean time, Steve B has some excellent videos to watch on painting with watercolours here; http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ors-in-Artrage
    The second of which shows a wet on wet working method.
    All his videos are worth watching I might add.

You can find information on picking colours in the ArtRage manual ( Help -> ArtRage Help or Help -> ArtRage Manual ). See the section 'The Color Picker' which explains how it works and how to pick colours.

If you find that you still have problems after checking that, let us know which version of ArtRage you're using and we can advise.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Besides the listed thread, you could also check out this link, which is all about Sumi and trying to emulate the feel-

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...t=sumi+don%27t

You can also try simple settings for the Watercolor tool--
    0% Thinners
    various Loading settings depending on how "dry" you want the brush to be
    Click Instant Dry

This works well if you then use a nice rough Layer Texture. Watercolors respond to layer texture, but they run a bit slow. Plus, if you want to get real dry brush work, you have to keep the Loading down to a low % and do a lot of short strokes, so you can't get something fluid.

The ability to vary your pressure and get a varied, fluid effect for how the brush relates to paper texture (say, press lightly and get a more "dry" look that's "papery", then press harder and get a fuller, more inky look) isn't yet capable in Artrage, but would be just what you would need to do Sumi work.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/